7.06.2004

FRGs? We don't need no stinking FRGs...

I just got an e-mail from a friend of mine whose husband is in the same company as mine. Seems that she has organized a "Ladies Night Out". Great! But the reason behind it isn't so great. Seems the Company FRG (Family Readiness Group aka Family Support Group aka Spouses Group aka Wives Club aka Koffee Klatch, depending on your perspective) is "tired of itself" after the last deployment and has decided to take a vacation of sorts until the next deployment (I"m assuming here...I was told that they were on hiatus indefinitely so I'm assuming that means until the next deployment). Um, ok...that's great...for those people who have been here a while and have been through a deployment! Dh's company has had an influx of no less than 10 brand-spankin-new, freshly minted warrant officers. Ninety percent of those WOs have families (this seems to be QUITE the prolific company...hope it's not in the water!) and 75% of those families have NOT been through a major deployment. Thirty percent of the families are brand new to the Army and do not know much about the Army in general. My friend has been here over 4 months and has yet to receive any kind of contact from anyone in the FRG leadership. That's CRAP. I'm sorry if you all are tired of one another but you have a JOB to do and y'all better get to it or else I may have to take it over.

I got spoiled at our first duty station in Alaska. The FRG for dh's unit was INCREDIBLE. We never faced a deployment but there were plenty of TDYs (temporary duty...like a business trip only longer) and field exercises to contend with and the FRG was always there to help out anyone in the unit who needed it. The people in the FRG were involved, supportive, and very quick to welcome new famlies to the unit, REGARDLESS of when they got there. A Family Readiness Group's responsibility does NOT end with the deployment - in fact, NOW is the time they should be working the hardest to get things rolling. NOW is the time to have everyone get to know one another, not the week before deployment. NOW is the time to edit the contact roster, assess what worked and what didn't work last time (an AAR or After Action Review, if you will) and fix it. NOW is the time to establish that base of support so that it is THERE and in place when it is needed as opposed to being thrown together at the last minute out of desperation. You'd think they'd know this by now...

We'll see what happens in the coming months. I've only been here a month so maybe I'll be surprised...

3 comments:

graycat74 said...

Sheesh, I had to sign up and start my own Blog just to be able to post on yours!!!

I say, TAKE OVER!!!!

Almost Done said...

So whatcha gonna do???? I'm thinking find out who the coordinator is. You know that if you make contact with her you can get the answers from her and not the gossip mill..... Then make your decision. Remember what it is like to head it up........... AK wasn't a piece of cake.

Homefront Six said...

I know - trust me, I remember AK...and I didn't even head it up. There is a Hail and Farewell coming up soon and the new commander's wife will be there so I can speak with her about things. Not sure WHO the FRG leader is or even if there IS a true leader at this point as we have just gone through a Change of Command. Like I said, we'll see.