7.13.2004

Must be a full moon

I am addicted to a friend of mine's forum - it's a military spouse forum and it IS my adult interaction on a daily basis. We talk about all sorts of stuff there and one of the sections is about current events. Every once in a while (though it seems to be more frequent lately but I think that is because more and more people are coming to the site and that tends to bring out some of the nuts) there seems to be...well...PMS on the site. It usually comes from someone new since most of us who have been there a while know the ropes and know how to be civil while we discuss/debate. It must be that time of month again. The person who runs the forum is a wonderful person. She is fair, honest, and tolerant of views that differ from her own. But she draws a hard line when it comes to manners on the site and I am constantly amazed at how many people cannot play nice. Obviously their mothers did not teach them manners when they were children. People like that boil my blood. But my friend handled this latest person exactly how they should have been handled - she showed them the door (I would have slammed it on them but she's a nicer person than I am and less prone to violence...).

Went to the commissary today. I TRULY appreciate the benefit of the commissary - why else would I continue to subject myself to such a stressful event? They are doing major construction on this commissary. Keep in mind that this ONE commissary serves 15,000+ soldiers AND THEIR FAMILIES. That's a small city...with ONE grocery store. Add to that the boneheads who drive their shopping carts in the same manner that they drive their cars and it's a good thing I don't carry a gun. So I go today. I have yet to find a "slow" time at this commissary. At our last duty station, I knew that Saturday afternoons/evenings were perfect - the place was a ghost town. Not here. Someone jumped into the parking space I was waiting for (WITH my turn signal on) which should have been my cue to turn around and go home but we were literally out of just about everything and Benevolent Dictator needed PullUps. So I clench my teeth and find another parking spot. I need the exercise anyway...

The first section is the produce section and it's a rat maze. I swear, I keep waiting to find a hunk of cheese at the end because I feel like a lab rat trying to maneuver my cart in the aisles. And because of the construction, there is only 1 way in and it is CLARELY marked "ONE WAY ONLY" and yet people continue to try to come OUT the IN. I used to be nice and back up...now I just point to the sign and wait for THEM to move. I'm getting meaner in my old age. Today, this lady decided that right THERE was the perfect place to stop and chat with a friend. When I walked up, there were 3 people waiting for her to move. Being the impatient person that I am, I simply said (in my best "teacher voice"), "EXCUSE US! Can you please find somewhere else to converse so we can shop??" That got her attention and she begrudgingly ended her conversation and moved along. The person in front of me turned to thank me.

Aside from the fact that the A/C wasn't working well, everything else went pretty well until I got to the dairy section. Seems that the best time to replace freezers/coolers/air conditioning units in a grocery store is during the dog days of summer when it is 95* outside and 90% humidity. Right...

So the dairy section is limping. Butter, sour cream, yogurts...all were non-existent. Great. For some reason, they've been out of Cheerios for the past 3 or 4 weeks too. Did General Mills have some kind of a strike I don't know about? I came home, defeated, with only about 75% of what I needed. Guess I'm off to either Kroger or Wal-Mart tomorrow. Joy. But at least I got milk - thank goodness! And PullUps...can't go without those. You know - the important things in life...


'night!

2 comments:

Gail said...

I pray every time I go into the commissary. It seems most people check their common sense at the door when they go in. It is so frustrating

Michelle said...

As far as the forum, I though I was civil when I reminded her to watch her rear-end on the way out the door. :) Okay, maybe civil is not exactly the word...

Had to laugh at the Benevolent Dictator, I have one of those. The benevolence is waning and I am beginning to think she was Hitler or Atilla the Hun in a past life.

You are a better person than I, I opted for a quick trip to Giant for a few things instead of hitting the commissary with both kids in tow. Once I saw my total I said I would never do that again.