8.06.2004

Ramble, ramble, ramble...

I admit - I'm hooked. This blogging thing is pretty cool. It's allowing me to do 2 things together that I've wanted to do - create a webpage and dabble in code at the same time. I love being able to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone". I'm hoping to tweak a new skin for my blog (how's THAT for new lexicon??) and get that up soon. I am waiting on the skin code to be e-mailed to me. So the look will be different but the blog itself will remain the same.

This has been an exhausting week. Nothing in particular - I just don't have the energy reserves that I used to have. By the end of the week, it feels like I am rucking an elephant. Ugh.

One of the blogs I read on a regular basis had a bit about a post on someone else's blog : Cold Fury . Scroll down to the entry titled "Someday, some way" and take a gander. It left me so blown away that I was literally speechless for seconds. And those of you who know me know how impossible that actually is. I would give parts of my anatomy to actually bear witness to the following exchange :

"Press: “Mr. Ridge, how do you respond to charges that this security alert is really a scare tactic being used for political purposes by the Bush administration?”

Ridge: “Christ almighty, what is it with you people?..."

And the exchange goes on. In a perfect world...

The Swift Boat Veterans story seems to have kicked up a notch. One of the gentlemen in the organization (and in the picture in the ads) is the father of a good friend of mine. Makes it a little more personal. Not to mention, it adds to my belief that John sKerry has no business running for school board member, let alone President of the United States of America and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. I cannot tell you how terrifying the thought of THAT man leading the Army that MY husband is in. Just the thought makes me wonder how easy it is to get OUT of the military in the middle of one's committment.

Speaking of The Husband...the kiddos and I were on our way back from getting pictures taken and having lunch at Burger King when we saw 2 Chinooks fly overhead. They seemed to be landing nearby so we drove off in search of them. Princess Trouble LOVES Chinooks and will tell you that she, too, is going to be a Chinook pilot. We found where they had gone and pulled over to the side of the road to watch them. They were practicing slingload maneuvers with a school that is taking place and I must say they are awesome to watch.

I have my own opinions of the Chinook - my first impression was that it was, perhaps, the UGLIEST aircraft I had ever seen. The Husband will tell you all of the metaphors (I think they are metaphors...good grief, hopefully my high school English teachers won't be reading this blog!) for the Chinook : it looks like 2 palm trees having their way with a dumpster, flying school bus, the thing is so ugly that the ground repels it, it flies only because it beats the air into submission, etc. They are not the most attractive pieces of machinery in the world. But man, are they AWESOME! Just watching them slingload big boxes, you can't help but literally be overpowered by their sheer strength. They are amazing.

And the thought of MY husband actually flying one just gives me goosebumps. I have yet to see him fly one. In flight school, there was "Family Day" during Primary phase and I was able to see him fly the trainer helo - it's a Bell Jet Ranger (206? heck, I don't know...looks like a news chopper) but I have never seen him fly a Chinook. Can't wait though. I'm so darned proud of him. This has been his dream for longer than I have known him. Actually getting TO flight school took him 5 years. Getting through it was another accomplishment - it's not as easy as you would think. And now, he's done it. Of course, he's not flying yet. In his unit there are new Warrant Officers in double digits and only 3 Instructor Pilots to put everyone through "progression" (on the job training...picking up where flight school left off) so it will be a while until he flies. But man, oh man, the idea of him being in the pilot's seat just makes me smile :)

I think that is enough rambling for today. Hopefully one day soon, there will be a new look to entertain you. Until then, take care!

5 comments:

graycat74 said...

Go Jason go.

Michelle said...

Yep! The Chinook is one of the ugliest yet most magnificent machines out there. My mom's best friend, who is like a grandpa to the girls, was a gunner on one of the "Guns a Go-Go" A/ACH 47s in Vietnam - earning two Purple Hearts. He's no John Kerry after all. ;) A few years ago someone realized what a unique group of men they were and the interesting place in history they occupied as there were only 4 of these ever built and only one survived the war. They restored the lone surviving aircraft and have been holding reunions since 2000.

Anyway... sorry to ramble.

HouseofHeather said...

I have always LOVED the Chinook! I love the sound they make, I love the look of them *blush* They have always been by far my fave.
I can't wait till we get them here :)

Homefront Six said...

Soon, soon, soon!

As for the A-CH - The Husband has been to it too and LOVES it! He wishes they were still flying - he'd be right there on one!

Shannon said...

I've never thought flight school would be easy. I imagine it to be one of the hardest things to get through - so much to learn and learn how to do!! I cannot blame you for beaming with pride! He's worked so very far to readh his goals!!!!