8.22.2004

Road Trip!!!

Sorry I haven't been around lately - I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to road trip with the kiddos (sans husband) back down to Rucker to visit some friends. I learned a few things along the way...

1.) Travelling at night, though hard on me, was easier on the kids. They slept the entire way down (for the most part) and almost the entire way back up. A lot easier than trying to keep a 3 year old (well, she'll be 3 in less than a month) and a 6 month old entertained while trying to dodge tractor trailer rigs and slow-moving vehicles in the fast lane.

2.) Coke is the nectar of the gods. Aside from its diuretic properties (which made for an emergency pit stop somewhere along the way between Montgomery and Troy), caffiene is one of the most useful discoveries known to man. Had it not been for Coke, we would have wound up sleeping at a rest stop somewhere along the way.

3.) It IS possible to make a 6 hour trip in six hours WITH 2 small children (the key being point #1) and leaving 2 hours early isn't necessary. In fact, leaving 2 hours early means that you pull into Enterprise at 6am and not 9 like you had planned. Oops. So we spent a few hours wandering around Wal-Mart...

4.) It is my lot in life to have at least one of my children (if not both) get sick while on a trip. I should just chuck the Children's Motrin, Tylenol, Sudafed, and any other medicine they have ever been prescribed in their lives into the bag when packing. We wound up coming home a day early because both kids picked up a cold and Princess Trouble has a nasty tendency to turn colds into bronchiolitis and I just didn't feel like arguing with Tricare over an ER visit out of our Area of Service.

5.) Road trips NEVER go as smoothly as I think they will. All told, I believe I racked up a total of maybe 18 hours of sleep over the course of 4 days...not great.

6.) You can never go "home" again. It was wonderful to see my friends again but even though I have only been gone a few months, life has gone on and things are different. Not so much with my civilian friends but more so with the military friends that I have. I didn't recognize many people at the kids' playgroup as I had hoped to (actually, I only recognized 1 other person) and the Spouses' luncheon that I went to wasn't as welcoming as I had hoped it would be either. But I understand - especially in the military (and even more so at Rucker since it is a training post and people move in and out at an even faster pace than other installations), life has to go on. This actually makes being gone easier to handle. Although I miss my church family like crazy, this visit made the homesickness ease up a bit.

It's good to be home. I missed The Husband like crazy as did the kids. And now we head back to our normal routine.

Also - a side note. A few weeks back I posted about a friend of mine whose husband was in Iraq and might possibly be coming home soon (possibly ahead of the rest of his unit). Well, he's back!!! He made it out of that hell-hole and back into the waiting and loving arms of his family last week. Thank God. I am trilled beyond words for my friend - this has been a rough year for her and her babies and now they (hopefully) get to look forward to a "normal" life again. Now we just need to pray that his retirement paperwork goes through without a hitch!

Talk to you all later...

3 comments:

HouseofHeather said...

I found it *extremely* hard to fit in at Rucker. For the opposite reasons...because dh wasn't there for schooling, he worked with people who bought houses and settled down. Rotating back & forth btw Rucker and Korea. So everyone knew everyone else *sigh*

Gail said...

K I am trying not to be hurt you didn't stop by with two small children, on a road trip to see me! LMAO!! Kidding! I think you were very brave. I think you deserve a purple heart!!

Oh wiat Kerry took them all...I hear he got scratched getting off the bus and demanded another one!! Sorry I'm in a mood!

Anyway if your feeling up to another road trip stop on by I'll leave the light on!

Homefront Six said...

Gail...did you miss the part about travelling at NIGHT? I passed by you around 3am on the way down and about midnight on the way back up. Not sure you would have appreciated visitors at that time of night :) I DO plan to come visit you though!