9.20.2004

49th...no 50th state...of confusion

So the Army is "transforming" itself. Aviation components are being mixed with infantry and field artillery components to make up more deployable units as opposed to bulky divisions of 1 branch or another. We knew this. We knew that our time here might be limited. But it was still a shock when The Husband came home a little over a week ago and told me that there had been a list posted at work and if you weren't on the list, you were not long for this duty station.


We weren't on the list.


Joy.


Our "options" were : Fort Drum, Fort Hood, Hawaii, and Korea. The list-maker told the people who weren't on the list that now would be a good time to contact their branch managers and let them know what preferences they might have. Out of 4 "options" The Husband e-mailed a list of 12 different requests to include fixed wing school, a Huey slot, Fort Carson (Colorado), Fort Lewis (Washington), Alaska, and Hawaii. Last week, while we were on vacation in Alaska, he got an e-mail : "...do you want Alaska or Hawaii?"


Oh crap. Which to choose???


Alaska was (surprisingly) a good assignment. Better for him than for me but I enjoyed it and the longer I'm gone from Alaska, the more I miss it. But Hawaii...


After a few conversations with trusted friends in Alaska and some serious praying and pro and con weighing, we opted for Hawaii. So we've done the 49th state. Now we get to do the 50th. Bring on the sunscreen and flojos. Princess Trouble will trade ballet lessons for hula lessons and surfing lessons. Little Man will have fun destroying his sister's sand castles on the North Shore. We will get to experience a cost of living HIGHER than that from which we came (California). I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to paying $5 for a gallon of milk.

Seriously though, it's exciting although a bit disappointing. Where we are right now is so centrally located. We are within driving distance of so many friends and family members and now we will be thousands of miles away again. *sigh*

We move in about 5 months. There is so much to do between now and then, I cannot even list it all. I'm still not sure how we are supposed to function in Hawaii wihtout a car - it will take 5-10 weeks for our car to get to Hawaii. On post housing is a pip dream right now and I am SO not looking forward to living in temp lodging AGAIN. But we get to stay here through the holidays. We get to experience a Middle South fall and winter. We get to see family and friends for the holidays. Thank goodness.

I am fighting my OCD tendencies big time right now. I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to *know* where I am headed but not have orders yet, not have a solid timeframe, and not be able to PLAN THE HECK OUT OF THIS MOVE. I'll get over it.

So, aloha everyone. Surf's up!

4 comments:

Ranta Lot said...

Hawaii (sigh) .... 85 degrees all year long. Ahhhh.... Here is just one more instance of me wishing I were someone else besides myself.

I've been trying to get the hubby to move to Hawaii for years now -- problem is there are no jobs in his field.

ziva said...

Break out the speedos, hang ten. I know you are going to be missed.

Haole Girl said...

I haven't been able to access a certain military spouse site, so I had no idea y'all were coming here!! That's great - you're going to love it! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about shipping vehicles or anything.

Aloha!

Gail said...

I am the same way as soon as I know we are PCSing and I have destination I am ready to get things cleaned out and get going!

You know we almost went to Hawaii but then we ended up in Alaska!

I'm jealous you get to hang with Barb. She is such a nice lady!