3.15.2005

I found my "spot"

Last time I took an accounting class was in 1998. I was considering pursuing an MBA (don't ask me why. I just was.) and had to take some prerequisite business classes. Intro to Accounting was one of them. Do I remember any of it? Nope.


Not a DAMN thing.


Fast forward to now. I've found that I prefer teaching Health to Physical Education so I am taking classes in order to gain full certification to be HIRED to teach Health (right now, all I have is a PE certification so I can teach Health but I can't be HIRED to teach health...). But the university I am taking classes through (via distance education) wouldn't admit me to the Health Education program because my original bachelor's degree was too similar to their program. So my advisor enrolled me under a Business degree program (because of my previous Business classes) with a Health Education minor. Fine with me. I've been craving some math anyway (yes, I'm weird like that...I'd like to take another Calculus class and possibly Differential Equations for FUN).


So this term I am signed up for a FULL LOAD (what the HELL was I thinking???). Twelve credits - History of Substance Abuse (or something like that), Nutrition for Sport Performance, and Managerial Accounting. Again, it's been SEVEN YEARS since I took my last accounting class. I don't even balance my checkbook. Really. Well, I do...when I get to $0, I stop spending. Pretty easy.


Anyway, this class STARTS on Chapter 18. Joy. It starts off with how to create a "Statement of Cash Flows" from given financial statements using either the indirect or direct method. My learning curve is STEEP. I've made it through the first chapter and have to sit down tonight and start in on the practice problems.

Classes don't techincally start until March 30 but with our move coming up next month, I don't want to fall behind. Especially since it's going to take me a while to comprehend this stuff. Luckily, I have a friend who is a CPA on this island and I might be able to bribe her to help me.



In other news...


I'm sure you all have heard of what the cost of living is like around here. It's exorbitant. Gas runs about $2.40 downtown. Milk off post is up over $4.00 per gallon. Don't ask what rent runs. When we lived on the Mainland, our food budget was about $400 per month (to include diapers, cat stuff, paper products and hygiene products, etc.). My goal here is to keep our food budget as close to that $400 mark as possible. Basically that means that we will only shop for food at the commissary, Sam's Club, and Costco. We're also looking to get a chest freezer. We'll see how successful we are.

We have 1 month left until we move into our house. My back might be able to last that long. I need to find a chiropractor. Badly.

There is a wind advisory out for the islands and it's (relatively) cold here. I'm actually wearing jeans and a long sleeved T shirt. People who have lived here for a while are just blown away (no pun intended) by not only how windy it is but by how cold it is. Personally, I'm loving it! It's even snowing on the mountain on the big island. I'm dying to go!

And I've found my "spot". Up on the north shore, there is a beach town called Mokuleia. The beaches there are usually empty, if not deserted. The water is beautiful. You can camp on the beach. It's incredible. When I need a moment of sanity or tranquility, that's where you'll find me. If I want to be found...

2 comments:

Haole Girl said...

I love Mokulea. They have a sprint triathlon up there every year and the Hubster is trying to convince me to do it before we leave. We'll see...

Have you been to Pupukea? (The opposite direction of Mokulea.)P.T. might enjoy it in the summer - the water is very calm and clear. It's a bit of a trek down to the water, but the tidepools are amazing.

Homefront Six said...

We LOVE tidepools! And we don't mind a bit of a walk either. Gonna have to check it out! Thanks!