3.26.2005

Photo Friday and other thoughts...

PHOTO FRIDAYS

I've decided to get started on something called "Photo Fridays". I heard about it from my friend and I was interested. I've wanted to get more into digital photography and this will give me the kick in the butt that I seem to need in order to get motivated on anything these days.

So I've set up my Photobucket account. Problem is, ALL of our digital images are on the other hard drive which is not here. And I have *no* clue where the digital camera is so, until I find it (or buy another one...), I'm on hold in that department. Which, I suppose is a good thing seeing as how I don't know where to go to find the theme for the upcoming Photo Friday...

But when I do get things up and rolling, you'll be the first to know! I may even have to start ANOTHER blog...



VOLCANO JOE'S

I had read about the upcoming Dine For Life/O'ahu Dines event and checked out the website to see which restaurants were involved. These days, I'm always looking for a decent restaurant with decent prices. I saw that Volcano Joe's was one of the participating restaurants so I clicked on their website to see what their menu was like. Um, YUM! So we were headed down that direction this evening to check out the Down to Earth health food store and we schlepped on over to Volcano Joe's to try them. McGyver had the Chicken Guacamole sandwich and I had the Monterey Chicken Salad. Both were great! And their prices were very reasonable, especially given their proximity to Waikiki. Another one to add to the "Do Again" list.


PURSES

I have NEVER carried a purse. EVER. I'm not that kind of girl. At one point while we were in Alaska, I got tired of carrying around my wallet (meant I had to keep my hands outside of my pockets and therefore they got COLD) so I found a "wannabe purse" - it's more of a wallet on a string. That way, I have my essentials with me (military ID...never leave home without it...REALLY, debit card, and cash) without the hassle of a wallet you have to carry around and may, at some point in your day, leave on the roof of your car and drive away as it falls into the street (yep, done THAT before).

Anyway, I DO carry a backpack. It's our diaper bag. I've carried a backpack for YEARS. I feel naked without it. In high school, I carried my textbooks, swim gear, etc. In college, I carried my textbooks, munchies, etc. When I was teaching, I carried my textbooks (sensing a theme here? I'm a nerd...), munchies (a nerd with low blood sugar), my cell phone, etc. And now I carry diapers, wipes, sippy cups, snacks, Tylenol (for the kids), Advil (for the parents), kleenex, band-aids, changes of clothes, toys, Leatherman multi-tool, and my cell phone.

The other day, McGyver remarked that I should carry a purse rather than the wannabe purse that I have been carrying. I thought about it and decided he had a point so I bought a purse - big but not bulky. Then I found a wallet I liked. I got everything transferred over...














...and I can't STAND it.














It's not big but it's bigger than my wannabe purse. So it gets in the way. On top of that, it's one more layer to go through to dig out my keys, my ID, my debit card...what-have-you. Basically it's a PITA that I just don't need.














So it's gone. I'm back to my wannabe purse and I'm happy with that. It's not feminine but it works and right now, that is more important. I'll take function over form any day of the week.














So that's it. I'm off to bed so that we can get up early tomorrow and run more errands. We're hoping to get by a local craft fair (well, I am...I doubt McGyver is). Sunday we're hoping to witness Sunrise Service at the Punchbowl National Cemetery but I'm anything BUT a morning person so we'll see if it happens or not.


Aloha!

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...