3.06.2005

To teach or not to teach

that is the question.

I have always said that I want to be a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) until my kids are both in school full time.

BUT...




...I'd also love to be debt free in 10 months.




Assuming I meet all of the requirements for a teaching license in the state of Hawai'i, and assuming there is a teaching position available in a school that I would want to teach in, my starting salary (based on my past teaching experience as well as the classes I've taken beyond my Bachelor's degree) would be somewhere around $40,000 per year.

Things that make you go, "Hmm..."


40,000 x .75 (reasonable assumption of take-home pay) = 30,000

30,000/10 months = 3,000 per month

child care = $800/month
gas = $200/month
clothing = $100/month
food/lunch = $100/month


That leaves me with about $1800 per month in income after expenses.


The question being...is it worth it to put my kids in day care full time in order to bring home an extra $1800 per month?




Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

No comments: