4.24.2005

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose

So we're driving back from Honolulu/Waikiki today after looking at a new(er) car for me. My Pathfinder is GREAT and I really love it...until I have to put gas in it. For an SUV that is 12 years old, it gets GREAT gas mileage but we could be doing better and I'm sure that my budget will thank me.

I found a 1990 Honda Civic hatchback on Craig's List a few weeks back and finally was able to hook up with the guy today and take a look at it. It's in such good condition that McGyver is actually disappointed that there isn't anything that he will need to do to it. Bummer, let me tell you. But here it is :






Anyway, the guy was asking $2,000 but we offered $1,800 and he took it. We pick it up Monday! I should be getting 30 miles to the gallon next week! Yay! And for a while, we'll have 3 cars - ALL PAID FOR!!!

ANYWAY, on the way back from downtown, we pulled up behind some GENIUS in a sports car with the message

If you can read this then your too close



Now I am no genius. I'm pretty sure my IQ is nothing much above average. But it drives me INSANE when people screw up the words YOUR and YOU'RE. It's not hard...YOUR is possessive - "that is YOUR car". YOU'RE is the contraction that indicates "YOU ARE" as in "YOU ARE AN IDIOT".

And the fact that this idiot not only doesn't know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE but put it on the back of his CAR just about sent me over the edge. It took most of the self control I could muster not to pull up next to him and tell him what an idiot he is.




I'm weird like that.




I'm on a few chat boards - mostly military spouse stuff - and the people on there who don't know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE or TWO/TOO/TO or THERE/THEIR/THEY'RE (among other grammar infractions that irritate the you-know-what out of me) literally make my head hurt.

Everyone has their idiosyncracies. This is mine I suppose.

6 comments:

Rhianna said...

It isn't just you. Punctuation, spelling, word usage...these are all very important to do properly to be undestood. Another pet peeve of mine is 'text' spelling. It is rampant here in Europe and drives me up the wall! Yr is NOT Your or You're. It is a bunch of stuck together letter used by people too lazy to 'text' the proper spelling!

Remedial English, here we come!

Dianna said...

Goodness- I am sure I have used improper grammer more times than not - I guess it isnt always on my mind when typing. Now I am going to watch my typing, just to see!
3 vehicles, eh? What will you do with the third? *curious minds!*

Homefront Six said...

Eventually we'll sell the Pathfinder - we'll make about $2000 off of it and gain about 10 miles to the gallon. But dh is looking for a little pick up so we'll be back to 3 cars at some point.

In the mean time, the in-laws will get to use it rather than rent a car!

Haole Girl said...

I'm no grammar goddess, but I cringe when I see people mess up the simple stuff. And the 'text spelling', don't get me started on that!

Haole Girl said...

Okay, I thought of another one that irritates the heck out of me - "prolly" is not a word!!! Don't say, "I'll prolly go to the beach this weekend." The word is "probably"!!

Homefront Six said...

"eXpecially" drives me insane. I had a college roommate who said that. And "supposeBly"...grr...


Not to mention "younz" but that's a whole other post...