9.04.2005

Cafe du Monde

When I was a little girl - maybe 6 or 7 - my Grama came to visit and brought with her (along with Mardi Gras beads) a box of beignet mix. I had never experienced them before and I remember thinking that I had died and gone to heaven after biting into one. Of course, at the age of 6 or 7, anything with powdered sugar on it was heavenly.

I remember mom and Grama talking about New Orleans and the French Quarter and I so badly wanted to go. I was finally able to get to New Orleans in 2004 and, though I wasn't able to make it down to the French Quarter, I DID get my beignets (Cafe DuMonde had a storefront in a mall close by). And they were just as delicious then as they were 20 years ago. But I still hoped to get down to the French Quarter and experience them the way they should be experienced.

I don't know that I will ever get that chance again. A trivial issue in light of the death and destruction that has befallen the area, I know, but still sad nonetheless.




Part of me hopes that New Orleans will be rebuilt back to its former glory, if not better. And part of me believes that it should not. That NO ONE should have to face the horrors that gulf coast residents have had to face over the past week. New Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen and part of me believes that no one should be allowed to live in the face of THAT kind of disaster again.

I weep for those lost and I weep for those that have survived. Nothing will ever be the same. And I weep for those who were never able to experience New Orleans and the gulf shores area. It's all just so sad.




So sad.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...