11.24.2005

Thankful

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

SparkS is the same person who won the auction for the Chinook print that I put up to benefit Project Valour-IT during the fundraiser (more on that in a minute). He also won a personalized cartoon from Chris Muir who does the Day by Day series.

Thanks SparkS!



Now, to the rest of you...I want to extend my own personal thanks for your support for Project Valour-IT, especially during the fundraiser. The totals were posted and the final tally was jaw-dropping. Go check it out! And remember, our ORIGINAL GOAL was a mere $21,000. You all surpassed that in 3 DAYS. Amazing.




I'm sitting here, babysitting the turkey (and the apple pie, the sweet potato apple casserole, the homemade cranberry relish, the apple cole slaw, and the sparkling cider that is chilling in the fridge) listening to Christmas songs and trying to reconcile all of that with the fact that it is 80 stinking degrees outside. Makes it a bit difficult to get into the "mood". But today is all about being thankful (as is the rest of my life) so here are some things I am most thankful for :

* my family
When we moved to Fort Campbell, it was with the knowledge that MacGyver would be deploying within the year. I did not expect to have him home for the holidays this year. But then we got orders to move to Paradise and we dodged that deployment bullet. I am truly thankful that he is with us again this year. I pray that these holidays go by quietly and quickly for those having to endure them without their loved one.

And, even though we are separated by thousands of miles, our extended family is another huge blessing in our lives. Families are the most amazing things and ours is no different. We have West Point grads, rocket scientists, talented wood-workers, passionate, intelligent people who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it, doctors, homemakers, and teachers. What an amazing group of people and what a blessing.


* our health
This year has been one of medical issues but, all in all, we are all healthy and our extended family is doing well. Those that we prayed for throughout this year are holding strong and I am most thankful for that.

* our country
Despite the issues that this country has faced over the past year, this is still the best place on Earth to live. And the men and women who fight for our country and fight to keep us safe and free deserve our utmost thanks and gratitude. Thank you.

* our friends
Despite the nomadic nature of the military lifestyle, we have been blessed with wonderful friends - both military and civilian. I am truly thankful for each and every one of them - without you all, our lives would be bleak. You all add such warmth and vibrance to our lives and I cannot imagine life without you. Thank you.

* our children
Challenging though they may be at times, I cannot imagine my life without them (nor do I want to). Someone once told me that having children was like having a piece of your heart walking around outside of your body and that is incredibly true. I sat and watched my children play at Princess Trouble's school yesterday as we got ready for her Thanksgiving luncheon and I was overcome with such a wonderful feeling of love and pride and thankfulness for these two amazing people I am blessed with in my life.


What a wonderful day. What a wonderful life.




Pau.




- hfs




p.s. Happy Birthday to my brother!!!

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...