1.21.2006

Clarification

Regarding the "You might be a liberal if..." post was not a 100% accurate representation of my political and moral beliefs so I feel the need to clarify a few things.


I see myself as a South Park Conservative - my political views fall somewhere in the midst of both Republican and Libertarian. One of my "heroes" is Neal Boortz.

That being said, I need to address my views on the issue of abortion. I am pro-choice. I am NOT pro-abortion...so don't even go there. I do not believe that abortion should ever be used as a form of indiscriminate birth control. But my overriding belief is that the federal government has no right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body.

The Patriotette left a comment on my previous post reminding us that we are talking about a human life. And, while I agree with that wholeheartedly, I have to go back to my belief that the government should not be involved in this decision. Personally, I do not believe in abortion. I do not know (having never been in the situation myself) that I could ever even consider the option, even if my life were at stake. However, this is between me and God. That's it.

Do I believe that the government should make abortion available via tax dollars? No. Again, I refer back to my belief that the federal government should not be involved in this decision. I have no qualms about the government restricting tax dollars in this capacity.

I also believe that Roe v Wade was poorly written and will not b surprised nor upset if it is overturned. Along with being pro-choice, I am also a strong believer in states' rights, which Roe v Wade usurped.


So, to recap...on a moral level, I do not believe in abortion. I do not know that, even under the most dire and horrible circumstances could I ever even consider the possibility. However, I do not think the federal government has any business being involved in this decision.

I know there are a LOT of people out there who disagree with me on this one and that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs - that is the beauty of this country. Don't like it? Don't read it.


Pretty simple.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: