2.15.2006

My military ID

MacGyver enlisted in 1998. While he was at AIT, I trudged down to the LA Air Force Base and filled out all of the necessary paperwork to get my very first military ID. I had been a military spouse for about 4 months at that point and now I had the ID to prove it! The picture they took was great too - amazingly enough. And, because I did not have my social security card on me at the moment (no one should ever carry their social security card on their person on a regular basis), they typed in "000-00-0000" for my social security number. This was fine with me as I do not like to give out my SSN in the first place. But that's another thread...


Anyway, I didn't use my military ID much prior to 9/11. No need to. I rarely left post in Alaska late at night and during the day, the gates were unguarded. Obviously, all of that changed after 9/11 and carrying your military ID on you at all times became the norm. Having had my car stolen in 1999 with my purse inside of it, I knew better than to leave my military ID in my purse so I carry it on my person at all times (except when I don't have pockets).

On one of the chatboards I frequent, someone got their panties in a wad over the fact that they were not allowed into the exchange even though they were with their sponsor (i.e. the military servicemember) who had ID. I just laughed. In this day and age, people who try to get anywhere without their military ID will find it impossible. I chuckle at those who expect the rules to be bent for them.

I did have to agree with the part of the discussion that centered around the inconsistency that can be found when it comes to checking IDs. Sometimes it is asked for and sometimes not. Drives me crazy sometimes but then I just remind myself to plan to have it checked at all times and it's no big deal.

I am also quite protective of my ID. It bothers me to NO END when I am asked to "show" my ID and it is snatched out of my hand. Ask me and I will SHOW you either side but I'm not comfortable handing my ID over to anyone (other than law enforcement). The other day I was at the commissary and the checker asked to "see" my ID. So I took it out and she snatched it out of my hand. It's not like she was comparing my signature to tha ton a credit card (I was using a debit card) - she just wanted to see it up close. She didn't ask. She just snatched.

So I snatched it back.

Startled the heck out of her! I politely told her that I would appreciate it if she would ask me to hand it to her if necessary but, given the fact that I was using a DEBIT card, there was no need for her to take my ID at all. I'm more than willing to SHOW it to anyone but you may not HAVE it.

Silly, I know. Boundaries, people. Boundaries.



This leads me to another peeve - when I'm in the middle of unloading my overloaded shopping cart and trying to keep 2 ankle-biters in check, don't demand my ID. Either ask for it before I get started or wait until I'm DONE. Or, better yet, check the damn things at the door when I don't have 1000 items to off-load. I know this is a useless rant but it makes me feel better to get it out.


My military ID is probably one of the most important pieces of identification I possess. I tend to get a little territorial, I suppose...sue me.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...