9.04.2006

The silver lining

So everyone knows about the downsides to deployments. No need to rehash them. But there ARE a few upsides - I swear! I was thinking about this today as I sprawled out in the MIDDLE of the bed for a nap ;)

1. THE BED.
No more fighting for territory. No more fighting for coverage. I can lay diagonally across the bed and not be kicked, elbowed, or rolled over. I do not have to listen to anyone other than myself and the geckos. I can flop around like a fish out of water and not have to worry about smacking MacGyver upside the head. I've always been a good sleeper - even in the most stressful times in my life, I have always slept well. And this deployment has not affected that one bit. If anything, I sleep better. Maybe because I don't have to share my queen sized bed with my six foot tall husband. Maybe because I'm pooped by the time I hit the sack. Who knows? Who cares. It's all good.

2. THE BATHROOM.
It's clean. It STAYS clean. 'Nuff said.

3. THE LIVING AREAS.
See #2.

4. FOOD.
I have a wicked, WICKED sweet tooth. MacGyver does not. I cannot begin to tell you the guilt I feel when I embark on a serious junk food kick when he's home. Let's just say I have not felt a pang of guilt since he left! Well, maybe a little but not a lot. I have been working on eating plenty of fruits and veggies and whole grains and drinking lots of water. But I also have managed to avoid the majority of the guilt I usually feel when I sit down with my Pepperidge Farm cookies and a tall glass of milk at night!

5. THE CAR.
MacGyver is six feet tall. I am NOT. Anytime he drives one of our cars, the seat gets pushed WAY back and the mirrors are all adjusted. When I get in, I have to readjust everything. Amazingly enough, for the past few weeks, I haven't had to do that! Novel concept.

6. SHOES.
I don't trip over them anymore. LOVE. IT. MacGyver's shoes and I have a hate/hate relationship. Especially his combat boots. I hate to trip over them (which is often) and they hate to see me walk upright. Haven't had that problem lately.




All in all, things are going well. I hosted this month's FRG potluck at the house and that went well. The spouses in our group are a good bunch of people. We are fortunate in that respect. We have 2 new babies in the unit already and 4 MORE on the way! Everyone seems to be getting into their groove and we have some good plans in the works for get-togethers and holidays. Hopefully the next 10-11 months will go by as quickly as the past few weeks have.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: