2.17.2007

Disgusting

Senate to vote on Iraq troop buildup


The House's "symbolic" statement that they have no backbone or common sense yesterday made me ill. I am thankful that I did not vote for any of the scoundrels that voted in favor of "rebuking the President" and "supporting the troops but not the war". Personally speaking, I think that statement is a cop out and complete crap. (And Annie, I know you disagree with me on this but that's the beauty of this country.)


Actually, no...the more I think about it, the more I find myself agreeing with that statement. I support the troops but I do not support the war. At least, not as we are doing things right now.


Yep, you read right. I'm saying the same thing that the HoR (anybody catch the irony in THAT acronym???) has said. Only my statement has a different meaning. What I mean when I say that is that I support the troops but I do not agree with the way in which the war is being conducted at this point in time. I oppose the surge.


BECAUSE IT IS NOT ENOUGH.


When did this country become a country of people who are willing to do a job half-assed? At what point in time did we lose our desire to win? Our drive to succeed?? Where the hell is our commitment? Give me a break.


Apparently, some of our wonderful elected officials in the HoR seem to be willing to pick and choose which civil wars we embroil ourselves in and which ones we walk away from:

"Our troops have done a magnificent job (but) they cannot afford to continue to be policemen in a civil war," said Rep. Walter Jones (news, bio, voting record), a North Carolina Republican who co-sponsored the measure with Democrats.



Really? The what the HELL were we (or better yet...ARE WE) doing in Bosnia? In Rwanda? In Somalia? In Haiti??? What was the difference? Other than the party from which the sitting President came from at the time? NOT A DAMN THING. Nothing. Not one thing. We went into those countries to "save the people from an oppressive situation". Someone care to explain to me how Iraq is different? And don't give me the "Bush Lied about WMDs" BS either. Go HERE, read, and come back and give me a real argument.


The HoR reminds me a lot of a small child who has no patience nor the resources to persist in completing a task. They get frustrated when they try to do something (poorly for lack of experience) and then throw a temper tantrum when things don't go the way they want them to go. I see no difference between a petulant child and the HoR or Congress for that matter. They tried to do something, did it half-assedly, and then threw a temper tantrum when it didn't work the way they wanted it to work.


Now I am not a particularly smart person. I have no training in politics, warfare, nation-building, or anything of that nature. But I do have common sense. Seems to me that the best way to do something is to give it your best effort. THEN, if you don't succeed, you can throw a fit. But not until you can look yourself in the mirror and honestly say "I TRIED MY BEST." We have yet to be able to do that.


If we're going to do this right we must:

1. Seal off the borders with Iran and Syria. Sorry if that pisses anyone off. Tough shit. Don't like it? Too bad. Neither of those countries are part of the solution but there is damn strong evidence that they are a LARGE part of the problem. Close the border down.

2. Send in more troops. Not 20K. Try 200K. I think I heard that 8 of 9 provinces in Iraq are doing just fine. Good. Maintain a stabilizing force in those provinces and start purging that last province of the bad seeds. Just like we're doing right now in Baghdad. Only do it in every city - Ramadi, Mosul, Fallujah, Kirkuk, Tikrit, and any other hell-hole that causes a problem.

3. Jobs. JOBSJOBSJOBS. I would bet that 90% of the people involved in the trouble-making are involved because the leaders of the trouble-makers are offering them money. With unemployment being so high in Iraq, people have no way to feed their families. If selling drugs was the ONLY way I was going to be able to feed my children, I'd have a hard decision to make. Do not discount peoples' desire to provide for themselves and their family. God knows that country needs work. I'm not saying you need to put former Ba'athists in charge of the local jail. But I'm sure there are schools that need to be built, sanitation systems that need to be built. Big rocks that need to be broken in to little rocks. SOMETHING. Give them something to DO. Besides blow up.

4. Train up more Iraqis for their Army and their police force. While the HoR was demonstrating it's complete and utter lack of backbone and/or common sense, HERE IS WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN IRAQ. Read that first headline : "Iraqi Government and 1st Iraqi Army Division assumes control". And the second : "IA Captures Al Qaeda In Iraq Cell Leader, Recovers Weapons Cache". And the fourth headline : "IA, CF target terrorist cells in Muqdadiya". Train them. They cannot begin to assume responsibility for their own security until they know how to do it and the good guys outnumber the bad guys. TRAIN THEM.




I could go on and on. But it's late and I'm tired. I'm tired of having to educate my own elected officials. I understand that politics and intelligence rarely go hand in hand. But seriously, folks...I know furniture that could make better decisions on this stuff than you all. If you agree with me, please stop over at Victory Caucus, read up on who voted for the "House Non-Binding Resolution" (gee, I can't believe it's not butter!). If they "belong" to you, please contact them and let them know that they will not get your vote when they come up for re-election. With regard to the upcoming Senate vote, please contact your Senator and find out where they stand on this issue. Let them know what YOU - their constituent - feel their vote should be. After all, they were elected to represent YOU, not their own interests.


And with that said, I'm hitting the sack.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: