4.12.2007

An open letter to General Peter Pace

Dear General,


Thank you so very much for your years of dedicated service to this country, its citizens, and its ideals. I appreciate the fact that you are the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I am sure that it is a tough and, often times, thankless job.

I am writing today to raise my concerns not about the extension itself but the way in which the Pentagon and the Department of Defense handled the release of information. I understand that someone within Pentagon staff leaked the information to the press days before it was due to be publicly released. This is unacceptable and I hold you and Secretary Gates personally responsible for this failure. The Pentagon is YOUR responsibility, your ship to run. And, for information to be leaked in such a careless manner, it is obvious that it is not a tight ship. Again, this is unacceptable.

The soldiers (and airmen, sailors, and Marines) are one of your primary responsibilities and for them to find out either from sources such as CNN or their own WIVES as opposed to their chain of command indicates an overall lack of respect on the part of the Pentagon and the Department of Defense. The families of those soldiers are also part of your responsibility and you are failing them as well.

We deserve an apology. From you. From Secretary Gates. And, if possible, from the person who leaked the information to the press. And it should be done in person. If you are unable to find the source of the leak, I will accept your personal apology but I would prefer to hear it from the leak themselves.

My husband, and every other member of the Armed Forces, puts his life on the line for you, for this country, for its citizens each and every day. He deserves to be treated with respect and courtesy, neither of which he has received during this time. And that is unacceptable.

I look forward to your response.


Sincerely,
*** **********

No comments: