5.20.2007

Sewing Machine: 1

Me: 0


One of my goals for this deployment was to learn to sew. I finally took the plunge this evening and hauled out the beautiful 1953 Singer that MacGyver (bless his heart) found at a thrift store a while back. Thankfully it still has the original manual in the case. As well as a buttonholer and a bunch of other contraptions that I have no clue what they do.


Anyway...


I've been loitering around the scrap bins at the local Wal-Mart and have come away with some cute cloth. Nothing huge. I figure it's best to stick with relatively straight lines to begin with so my first project was to be some kind of burp rag/baby blanket (c'mon...we ALL know that baby blankets are just oversized burp rags).


I managed to get the upper thread done. I managed to swap out the bobbin (Army green doesn't really go with baby-motif fabric, trust me.) I managed to get the thing plugged in (a feat, mind you, because my dining table where I had planned to work is not close enough to an outlet so I had to improvise and make room on the kitchen counter. Adapt and overcome, right?).


This is where my trouble began. I pressed gently on the foot pedal and the needle began to move up and down but after about 3 or 4 strokes, it seemed to get hung up. I think it was the bobbin or something to do with the "take up whatever". I am not sure. And, being that it is now past 11pm my time and given the fact that I have been up since 6 and at the beach ALL day (as my previous post would possibly indicate) I am declaring this battle over and victory goes to the machine.


But the war is not over. Not by a long shot. I still have MONTHS to go before MacGyver gets back! HA!




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...