10.22.2007

Coming up for air

He's been home 150 hours. It's wonderful. A little odd but wonderful nonetheless. One of the things I love the best about our family is how seamlessly we seem to transition. The kids fell right back into place with MacGyver being home.He slipped right back into the role of "Daddy!". And I set aside all of my control issues and have just reveled in having him home. I find myself staring at him for no reason. Touching him constantly. Finding things to do in the room he is in just to be near him. Life is good.


The transition was seamless. So seamless that, within 3 days he had Little Man standing up to pee, riding his bike WITHOUT training wheels, and both kids up and riding the electric motorcycle. Princess Trouble is really good at maneuvering the bike. Little Man likes to go straight and fast ("You're not going to be happy unless you're going Mach-2 with your hair on fire and you know it." Points to anyone who can tell me what movie that is from!). God, help us.


I've had to stop sleeping in the middle of the bed. MacGyver's bigger than me so I can't very well shove him out of the way in the middle of the night. But that's ok. I truly do not mind. It's nice to be able to go take a shower and not have to keep the door open and an ear peeled to listen for the kids while I'm rushing to get in and out as quickly as possible. And I find myself actually bored. For 15 months we stayed BUSY. For 15 months, we rarely stayed home. Rarely sat still. But MacGyver is a homebody so we're not goinggoinggoing all day long anymore. Definitely a shift in the pace of life.


I do feel badly for him in one respect. We had been attending our church for a few months before MacGyver left. After he left, the kids and I really dove into church. Awana on Monday, hula on Thursday, Ohana Bible study/pot-luck dinner on Friday. Military ministry, Old Testament Bible Study, etc. It all kept us busy and out of trouble. The bonus is that everyone at church knows MacGyver through us. They know what he looks like, how his week has been going, his favorite snack foods, reading materials, etc. (from packing care packages) etc.


He doesn't really know them. So dinner on Friday was a little awkward until he started to get names straight. Poor guy. Same thing goes for many of my friends. I made several friends here after he left. So he has some catching up to do. Thankfully we should have some time to do that.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


SpouseBUZZ Live 3 is coming!!! We're headed to the Fort Bragg/Pope Air Force Base area on December 1st. Camp Lejune is about 70 miles away so this would be a great opportunity for Marine spouses to come and join us! It's FREE and you can register HERE. I would really encourage you to go if you are in the area. As of right now, each and every author/contributor to SpouseBUZZ will be there (me too!) and it's a great way to meet other spouses, learn some new things, share laughs, and just hang out. I've missed the last 2 live events so I'm completely excited about being able to make it to this one!


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Please keep the people in Southern California in your thoughts and prayers. It has been one of the driest years on record there and the Santa Ana winds are blowing something fierce. This all means horrible fires and that is exactly what they are dealing with. Lex is watching and waiting, with a mandatory evacuation order in place for the area just north of him. Fuzzybear Lioness isn't sure whether her house is still standing and hasn't slept in days. Others are evacuating and many have already lost their homes. Belongings and such can be replaced. People cannot. But that doesn't mean the whole thing doesn't suck.


It's been 13 years since I had to worry about the fires. Growing up, we had friends who lived just on the other side of the Hollywood Hills, just below the infamous sign. Anytime we smelled smoke, we would worry about them and prep in case we had to go and help them evacuate. I remember the hills about town being on fire when I was very young and watching them burn as my mom came to get me from Day Care. I also remember the hills between my home and downtown Los Angeles burning. They may be a common occurrence but that doesn't mean it's not stressful. And this looks BAD.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


That's about it for now. Lief is pleasingly calm and boring. It is good.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...