10.13.2007

Debrief

Several of my friends' husbands came home today from Iraq. (and before anyone asks, no I still do not have a date or even a ballpark...but we won't go there right now) I went to help welcome them home and to support a friend of mine whose husband won't be coming home.


I am exhausted. Mentally, physically, emotionally. When I decided to go, my first thought was "What the hell are you thinking? YOUR husband isn't even home yet. Going to someone else's homecoming is crazy and asking for pain." And yes, a very big part of me is sad that MacGyver is not yet home.


But oh, wow.


Part of me is so incredibly happy for my friends. To witness the whole thing was incredible. I am so glad they allowed me to tag along. It did my heart good. So good. To see them literally tackle each other and their kids and melt into one another was just heartwarming. It's an odd sensation to sit here with a huge grin on my face while tears stream down my cheeks. But here I sit.


And to see my friend's grace and strength in the face of all that has happened and all that she has lost leaves me speechless. She welcomed those guys - men who loved her husband and called him friend - home with open arms. What an amazing woman.


Welcome home 2-6 Cav. Welcome home.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...