12.19.2007

It's that time!

I got a wild hair this week and felt the undeniable urge to purge. Our house. Specifically the kids' room. Part of that is due to the fact that it is coming up on Christmas and in our house, our kids each choose 3 toys (in good condition) to donate to a local charity in order to share their blessings and in order to make room for the gifts they will get from friends and family.


And part of that is timing.


We've been here almost 3 years.


For those of you well-versed in military life, that means it's almost time to move. Permanent Change of Station. PCS. The itch is getting stronger. There are weight limits to worry about.


Not really. We applied for, and were granted an extension. So we'll be here a little while longer. Which goes against every fiber of my military-wife nature. Three years is the longest I'm supposed to reside in any one place, right?


Even before I became a military spouse, I moved a lot. I lived in the same house until I was 18 but then my father retired and my parents moved to the other side of the country. I took off to college and, from that point on, moved 16 times in 17 years. Some were within the same town but moving is moving (it all sucks). When we had lived in Alaska for a year and a half, I found myself with the oddest urge to move. MacGyver came home one day and I had rearranged the entire living room. If I couldn't pack up and move, I would satisfy the urge one way or another. After that, it was off to Alabama for just over a year and a half and then on to Fort Campbell for a whopping 8 months.


The urge to move was being satisfied. Then we get here and have to move twice in a year. Woohoo! No itching there!


But now we've been in our current house for a year and a half and were just granted an extension. Needless to say, we'll be here for a while. Which is great but...now I'm getting the urge to pack stuff up and wave goodbye to it as it drives away in big, giant wooden boxes on a truck hoping that I see it all on the other end.


So I purge. I went through every single drawer, box, cubby; crawled under beds and moved furniture. The tally? 1 big, black trash bag to the dumpster (the Costco size trashbag), 5 board games for the Thrift Shop on post, 2 boxes of toys for the church nursery and preschool rooms, 2 trash bags of clothes to donate to Goodwill, and a helluva lot more space!


My closet is next.


By the time we actually DO leave this island, my hope is that we are far below the weight we came here with.


I'm off to ponder the fact that we are going to be living in the same spot longer than I've lived anywhere since I was eighteen! Gotta love military life.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: