1.01.2008

Looking back

Goodbye 2007. Don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.


I'm sure that is kind of harsh. 2007 wasn't a rotten year but it sure wasn't one of my favorites.


It started off on a good note and I rediscovered exactly how wicked my husband really is, but that note was short. And then things went south quickly.


In true "me" fashion, I used this lovely blog for its number one purpose - to vent. In case you missed it, you can go HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.


Amidst all of the venting, I was reminded that, as hard as it is to say goodbye, there are so many silver linings to military life. And then the punches keep rolling in and in and in.


I was able to get up close and personal with some of the local wildlife which about sent me over the edge. Somewhere in the midst of all of that, I decided to test what was left of my sanity and head to the mainland for a cross-country adventure where I was graced with incredible questions from a 5-year old.


And then the sucker punch came. That sucked. Big time.


As part of my therapy for my obvious anger management issues, I was able to write a letter to General Pace as well as the peckerhead that leaked the news of the deployment. Not sure if they made a difference but it sure did make ME feel better. In addition, I found out that it IS possible to blog while high.


Narcotics are FUN.


2007 was the year of the official visit. Both General Casey and General Pace, as well as the Secretary of the Army, Pete Geren all visited the island and the families of 25ID. Interesting, to say the least.


The MilBlogging conference was one of the highlights of the year and you can read about it HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE. Oh yeah, and HERE.


There were sad times, some interesting times, good times, bad days, fun times, and sweet times.


I gained a family member (well, she was already family...this just made it official), realized I have ADD, and kicked some serious deployment gremlin booty. I also found that some can read my mind.


There was reunion nesting, beer bread, travel, the realization that not only am I weird but that once the deployment ended I would have no more excuses.


The deployment drew to a close and I realized how far we had all come. I reveled in the "lasts" of the deployment and tried my best not to come undone. And then, it was over. As quickly as it had started, it ended. Almost anticlimactic, in a way. But that's ok.


Sometime after MacGyver came home, I hit 100K on my sitemeter which was pretty cool for a little blog that I started up just to keep from going insane. And, while that was cool, I got a bigger kick out of being the first to figure out John's "Whatzis". Doesn't take much to please me! I was blessed to attend SpouseBUZZ Live 3 in Fayetteville, North Carolina where I was reminded that, even though I don't sew, I am a quilter and that the best way to face the challenges that military life throws our way is to stand and face them.


And now, to celebrate ten years of marriage, MacGyver and I ushered out 2007 (more like booted it in the arse) and welcomed in 2008 in the Mile High City. A perfect ending to a not-so-perfect year.


Happy new year everyone. May 2008 bring you peace, love, and prosperity. Thank you all for making my life what it is - wonderful. I can truly say (in answer to John's question) that meeting all of the new friends I was blessed to meet and deepening the friendships already in place fall under the category of "biggest blessings of 2007".




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...