1.16.2008

Burnt Out

Lengthy volunteer stints burn out military wives


I have toyed with the idea of volunteering to lead the FRG next time around if they need it (no, that is not a firm commitment!) but I'm not sure I could do it. There were days that I felt like I was drowning. Days where my sole focus was merely keeping my head above water. Days where the only thing I could do was to keep putting one foot in front of the other.


To have to act as a support system for the families in our unit on top of being my own support system might be too much.


We do not live anywhere near family. And, while I have friends - wonderful friends - here on the island and a wonderful support group through church, it is not the same. The friends I have are overwhelmingly military so they, too, have their own survival issues to contend with. And my church is wonderful but it would not be appropriate to rely on them as a major source of support for 12-15 months, non-stop.


I do not know that having an all-volunteer FRG is the right way to do things. I think the idea of having a paid, non-spouse leader - at least at the Battalion level - would be a wise decision and money well-spent. If there are spouses that want to head up a unit-level FRG in addition/to complement the Battalion-level FRG, that would be wonderful but not required. I see the paid position at the Battalion level alleviating a lot of the stress of the unit-level FRG leader, freeing them up to focus on the more positive side of things.


It's an interesting article that you should take the time to read. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...