1.31.2008

Uncoordinated

That's me. Can't walk and chew gum at the same time.


I've had a membership to a local gym for a few months now. Usually I just go and hit the treadmill or the stairclimber or the pool. But MacGyver's been on me to really get my money's worth (or his money's worth if you want to look at it that way) so I checked out their class schedule and they had a 30 minute step class at the perfect time. I figured, 30 minutes...can't be TOO bad, right?


Riiiiight.


Let's just say that I got my butt kicked. Physically, it was a good workout - not too long, not to short. Had my heart rate right where it should be and I worked up a good sweat without feeling like I was going to die. But I just could not keep up with the little Asian girl leading the class.


I'm amazed I didn't trip over my step and break my fool neck. Just as I would get the pattern of steps she was doing down, she'd change it up. And it would take me 7 of the 8 beats to get THAT series down. And so on. She was good though - encouraging and kind (well, as kind as a perky, bouncy little Asian woman can be in the middle of a step class with music blaring and 40 other women watching).


I'll be going back next week and then sticking around for the hour long Pilates class that follows - I heard that it's a great class, especially when it comes to working your abs. Works for me!


I do want to add some muscle weight though. But (if you can believe this) the free weights and weight machine section of the gym intimidates me. Not so much the equipment as the people there. I'm really NOT a fan of making myself look like an idiot. We'll see. In the meantime, I have some free weights at home that I'm using.


Though it's not the same. *sigh*




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: