5.20.2008

N. O. - spells "no"

NO.


It's a hard word for me to say.


At least it is when it comes to doing things for others. Which is why I often find myself over-extended. I volunteer for things that sounds great at the time, only to find I cannot give my best effort to anyone or anything because I'm running in so many different directions.


I found myself staring at that possibility today. It's May and yet, already, the rest of my year - especially fall - looks overwhelming. I will have two children in school. I am planning to go back to work (as a substitute) on a part-time basis. I just took over our unit's Family Readiness Group. I have commitments at church that are important to me. I have several conferences that I am planning/trying to attend. MacGyver will be having some surgery (and a month's worth of convalescent leave...God, help me) as well. Not to mention the hustle and bustle of the holidays.


When this latest opportunity came about, my first reaction was to say yes. Thankfully, the woman asking me did not ask for an answer - did not WANT an answer - right away. She asked me to think about it and talk to her again on Monday. So I thought about it. And I looked at my calendar and already it's crowded.


I had to say no. I didn't want to say no but I had to. And it was hard. Do you find yourself in these situations often? Is it hard for you to say no to commitments? Am I the only one?




Pau.




- hfs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? No is a word that it took me a long time to learn (you know that) but now it comes much easier and my life is much much (exageration perhaps) easier. I now feel free to volunteer for the little things like cooking bread sticks today for 200 people for our AWANA banquet tonight. I miss you and am so proud of you..

KKY

prophet said...

you are not the only one! I learned to delay answering (and God bless the lady who asked you to think about it first, before answering), because my default is a "yes" first - and then 'repent at leisure', as they say. . . .

And there's little worse than being over-extended. No time to think, no time to just enjoy, to just be. . . .

Greetings, by the way - I think I first stopped by some time ago, by way of Nonessential Equipment.

potandkettle said...

Took a long time for the word NO to become a part of my vocabulary. However, it doesn't come without a bucketful of guilt, which is what I'm working on next. Even with my new-found use of the word, I'm still overloaded from now until the fall. Can't imagine what ward I would be committed to had I not stopped doing so much.

billt said...

Am I the only one?

N.O.

Homefront Six said...

Bill ~ you make me laugh.

billt said...

I *have* that effect on the Ladies.

It helps me get away with all the *other* comments...

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...