5.31.2008

Why weren't gas prices high when *I* was in school??

Schools Shut Down to Save Money

The MACCRAY School District in western Minnesota voted earlier this month to switch to a four-day school week beginning in September. The decision to close the schools on Mondays will mean slightly longer hours on the other four days, but it will also mean a three-day weekend, every week.



They will be saving money on:

* transportation costs
* heating and cooling costs
* substitute costs (teachers have a weekday to schedule appointments, thereby cutting back on the need for subs)


They will also see a decrease in the number of student absences (though I'm curious to see how that works out in a percentage compared to the number of actual school days in a year).


Man, WHY could this not have happened when *I* was in school. I am all for a 4-day work week.


*sigh*




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Frankly Opinionated said...

That is an excellent concept. Long, long ago, I was a Park Ranger. Our park decided to work 4 10 hour days and have the 3 day weekend. Worked fine til some Yankee transplants bitched that they should be paid overtime for the extra 2 hours each day. As a result of their effort, we drove to work an extra day, had one less weekend day, and the unionist got ostracized. I wonder if the Teachers Union will go along with this.

BillT said...

FO's got a good point. I'll bet the NEA will demand the teachers get overtime pay *plus* an extra day off every two weeks as prep time for that grueling schedule.

Wouldn't have worked when I was a kid, though. No school buses -- we had to wait until a mammoth passed by and broke trail through the 15-foot snowdrifts.

I'm soooo glad Global Warming finally happened...

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...