6.17.2008

National Lampoon's southeastern vacation - Part II

I love military life, for the most part. Honestly, I cannot imagine living any other way. I have friends who are civilians and, though there are things about their life that I would enjoy (such as not having to move at the Army’s discretion, no deployments, etc.) I realize I truly have no desire to live that life. I have a hard time envisioning what we will do with ourselves when MacGyver gets to the end of his career and we have to live that life (or something that resembles it…).

However, comma…

Where we live, the military is a BIG part of life. Everywhere you go it is pretty obvious that – even if MacGyver isn’t in uniform – we are a military family. Even if MacGyver isn’t with me, it’s pretty obvious that we are a military family. During this trip I spent time with friends and family at Fort Campbell. Even there, where our physical features don’t indicate that we are most likely military, it’s still pretty obvious. It’s as if we can recognize our own to a certain extent.

On our way from Fort Campbell to visit my parents, we stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel. Yummy, buttery, crispy-edged blueberry pancake goodness, let me tell you! But what was nice was that it was not blatantly obvious that we were a military family. We were just a mom and 2 kids stopping for a bite to eat.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And every once in a while that is nice. Most civilians that I’ve come across aren’t quite sure how to deal with a real, live military family. Most of them act like they either want to hug us or chew us out over the current administration’s decisions/actions/screw-ups/policies/etc., as though I have a direct line to the President and the Pentagon. But this time we were just…normal.

And while I usually say that “normal is boring” or that “normal is a setting on the washing machine”, every once in a while it’s just nice.




So the adventure continues. My children – knowing no car ride longer than it takes to get to the North Shore – handled the 4+ hour car trip quite well. Thank goodness for Aunt W and the portable DVD player she gave us! I only tallied 4 “Are we there yet?” inquiries and one “My butt hurts” complaint. Not bad. It’s so nice just to be able to DRIVE.

And not run into an ocean.




Pau.




- hfs

5 comments:

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I understand the feeling of being "normal" and how that can be a nice thing to experience once in awhile.

We had 4 years of that while Daniel was a Recruiter. It got old, yet because of where he was recruiting, proclaiming you are military meant not being served at a restaurant, or not having your groceries bagged for you. It meant being protested, and hated. So we just lived like normal American citizens.

But now, we're back in a military loving community and it feels like we are home.

-Andrea

Jen said...

*snort*

"My butt hurts!"

Bwahahahahaha!!!

God, I love your kids!

BillT said...

If you still miss the military after Mac retires, he can always do contract work over here.

Only differences are that he won't have to salute, the pay is better and you won't have to go to Ft. Rucker unless you *really* want to visit the Museum again (if PT asks about the crashed Huey, tell her I lived).

Homefront Six said...

I am *so* taking pictures of the Huey. Is there an airframe you *haven't* crashed whirly-bird man??

Your poor wife.

BillT said...

Bunches. Never crashed a CH-34 or a CH-54. Or a ChitHook, for that matter. Never pranged a UH-60 or an AH-64. Never broke a U-8 or an L-19.

Of course, I never *flew* any of them, either.

An airframe I haven't crashed, indeed. *You* try to keep something flying after your engine, tranny and hydraulics have been shot out. It's like running an FRG from 6,000 miles away when the command keeps yanking your elves...