6.02.2008

There is a fine line...

...between bravery and stupidity.


Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?

When are we gonna beeeeeeee there?



That is what I anticipate I will be hearing for FORTY-TWO days this summer. God, help me.


MacGyver is headed to the Maintenance Test Pilot course at MotherRucker this summer. (I know. God, help him too.) I decided that, after 15 months of deployment, our family really shouldn't be separated for an additional 4 months if it wasn't absolutely necessary. And, apparently, 4,500 miles and an entire ocean don't qualify as "absolutely necessary" in my pea brain.


So I am getting ready to embark on a 5 hour plane trip to SoCal where we will catch our collective breath (and inhale some In-N-Out burgers) for a whopping 36 hours.

Then we will get on a plane and fly to Nashville.

From there, we will head north to Clarksville and hang with BIL and BFF (yes, my BIL married my BFF) for a few days.

Then it's on to eastern Tennessee for Father's Day and time with my parents and Grama. Then down south a ways to a mini family reunion, of sorts.

Then further south to MotherRucker where it is currently 95*. Good. GOD. Thankfully lodging has a pool right down the road. We will be there a LOT. I'm not sure what I'm going to spend more money on during this road trip - sunscreen or gas. It's a toss up.

Somewhere in there we are going to squeeze a trip up to northern-ish Alabama to see some old friends and a trip south to the land of the Mouse.

Then (yep, there's more) back up to see my folks again and celebrate my mom's birthday.

Then back to BIL and BFF's place and hopefully a side trip to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Horse Farm (thanks, Annie, for the heads' up on that one) because Princess Trouble has a "thing" for Man O'War and I have a "thing" for horses in general.
Photobucket

THEN, back on the plane to SoCal for a week in the land of fruits and nuts. In that week, we're going to hit Sea World, eat REAL Mexican food, eat more In-N-Out, and more time at the pool.

And finally, back home.


Forty-two days. Two-thousand-seven-hundred miles of driving. Two children under the age of 7 who have lived the bulk of their memorable lives on an island whose circumference is 120 miles. The longest car drive we take is from here to the Windward side (i.e. KBay) and Little Man is notorious for asking "Are we there yet" after all of 15 minutes in the car.


There isn't enough rum on the planet for this trip. What the HELL was I thinking?




Pau.




- hfs

13 comments:

Jen said...

Are you sure you don't want to throw in a trip to Iowa in there and come to SS wedding?

*sniff* We'll miss you here on the turd!

Homefront Six said...

I would love to liveblog that wedding! Could I be snarky?? And hey, what's another couple hundred miles when I'm already driving 2700. Hell, I should have just skipped the return ticket to SoCal and DRIVEN back!

Damn.


I'll miss you too :( You're gonna hafta keep 'Nifer outta trouble...

billt said...

What the HELL was I thinking?

It's obvious.

"Oooooh -- horses!"

Anonymous said...

sometimes our need to see loved ones causes a short circuit in our brains and for some reason we fail to factor in the midgets and the fact that they have to go to. Only after we have bought the tickets does our common sense kick in. But hey!!!! I'm glad you're coming!!!!!

See you soon!!!
kk

A Soldier's Wife..... said...

Before I got to the last line of your post, I was thinking to myself, "What the hell is she thinking?" Then you typed it yourself......that is going to be one summer for you guys, but all in all, I bet it is the most memorable one you have.....

I have a 17 yr old who in her last few years has, when not driving herself on trips, has taken to asking me, just to be annoying, the "are we there yet" question, so I now travel with duct tape and threaten to put it over her mouth, she still does it and smiles at me, we have a good time though when we travel, its just us girls (me, my oldest and my youngest daughters)in one car and my husband and my son in the other....

Enjoy your summer um....vacation :D

Nifer said...

Hey!!!
I'll be gone some of June but dear god it'll be a long summer without you here.
Have a blast and for the record, who will keep YOU out of trouble!!!

DL Sly said...

All this time passed and Carrie hasn't shown up with her green gills to complain about you eating In-n-Out. I'm shocked. Just shocked. Of course, she's probably getting used to it by now since I always inform her of my latest trip....
heh

As for "Are we there yet?" while driving down the road, I always say, "Yes! Get out."

Ya know....I live in SoCal......
0>;~}

Homefront Six said...

Carrie claims she's been busy...


And yes, I *do* know you live in SoCal...shall we meet up before Vegas? And if we do, we have to take pictures and send them to Cass and Carrie. Just to, you know, include them...

Andrew and Leigh said...

I'm hoping you're able to blog along the way. This post was hilarious!!

DL Sly said...

Probably busy wiping drool off of the keyboard.

Meeting sounds great....

You've got mail....

Liz said...

ooo - ooo - i want to go!!! i'll promise to keep the kids entertained, or at least their mouths duct-taped so they won't drive you nuts. you won't even notice me, or my 2 year old. :) have a great trip - it sounds like fun and i LOVE churchhill downs - it is a lot of fun! hope you are doing well - miss you all!!

Michelle said...

are ya sure you don't wanna come up to Virginia? Ya know I am willing to meet you in NC :) We could trade kids for a bit :) Oh wait, maybe we shouldn't do that--trade kids I mean--the Racing Princess has really developed her attitude and the Hawaiian Princess is now a screamer--yeah me and the other one is trying to be a teen (as if tween isn't painful enough).

Send me dates of your travel and I will pray frequently for you!!

Annie said...

You are welcome. And I wish I was still in KY.