7.11.2008

National Lampoon's southeastern vacation - The Downhill Slide

We're on the downhill slide to home. I've not yet reached the point where I close my eyes, rub my temples, and say, "I'm SO ready to go home".


I am ready to go home, just not yet. We still have so much left to do and many friends and family members we want to spend time with. But the allure of home is strong. It's been 4+ weeks since we left home and there's nothing quite like your own bed and your own space.


But I'm resisting the urge to count the days. I don't want to miss out on enjoying the days we have left just because I miss my bed. I've been pondering the motivation behind this trip a lot lately and I've come to the conclusion that guilt was a large part of the motivation. And I think it's that way for many military families.


We live thousands of miles away from immediate family. In addition, there is a rather large body of water separating us from family and friends which makes it even more difficult to visit. My parents live on the eastern side of the United States. My dad is 80 and my Grama is 95. It's hard being so far away. I feel guilty that my kids have not had much of a chance to get to know them which is a big reason we embarked on this trip.


Once the decision was made to take the trip, the guilt of not having seen other family members and friends in the area crept in and quickly ate up the time we planned to spend in the area. It will be the same thing when we head back to the West Coast in a few days. I feel bad that the only time we ever see most of our friends and family is during holidays. I'm sure that, had MacGyver not enlisted and had we lived in the same area rather than moving every 2-3 years, the guilt would not be there or at least would not be as strong. *sigh*


So here we are. Four weeks and 2,600+ miles into our trip. It's been fun. And we still have a while to go before we say our final goodbyes (have I mentioned that I suck at goodbyes?) and lots to do between now and then. Which is good.



In other news, I seem to have had a small job land in my lap. I'll divulge more details once things are finalized and the work starts. It's nothing big but it's a few extra bucks in my pocket - more money to set aside for my Chai addiction or my trip to the MilBlogging Conference in September. Works for me!


I have my application in to start subbing in our local school district once the school year starts in the fall. It's a lot of different hoops to jump through but the pay is good and the logistics (with regard to the kids' school schedules) work well. I'll be subbing at the middle school to start (I know.) and then maybe adding the high school into the mix, depending on how busy the middle school keeps me.


Little Man seems to be mostly over his latest bout with strep. We'll be talking to his PCM about getting his tonsils yanked as soon as we get back. Poor kid. He's lost 4 pounds with this latest go-round as well, which he doesn't have to lose (he's consistently in the 20th percentile for weight - he's a string bean).


Always lots of fun around here!




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Maj said...

Good stuff, I was cracking up! I think Im in my weight 4% bracket too. Hang tuff and have a cigar!! Maj Pain

Homefront Six said...

Aren't you supposed to be out, saving the world? Thanks for stopping by MP. Stay safe, would you please? I'd love to see you at the next MilBlogging conference once you get back!