10.28.2008

I'm with them.

Charles Krauthammer took many of the words out of my mouth. I was going to do a long post on my vote and why I chose to vote the way I did.


I could tell you how I am fundamentally opposed to the concept of "income redistribution". You want money? Work for it. If you are truly unable to work, the role of the government isn't to coddle you or pay for you to sit and do nothing. The role of the government is to make it POSSIBLE for you to do SOMETHING.


That's it. Nothing more.


Those that are unWILLING to work for themselves are NOT entitled to MY money or that of my neighbor, my pastor, my doctor, or my financial advisor. And, while I find it deplorable that CEOs of failed companies are walking away with millions of dollars while their investors are watching their investments shrink faster than my wool sweater in the dryer, the ONLY people to blame there are the boards that authorized the payments in the first place. It does NOT entitle ANYONE to claim the profits of any large corporation as their own, simply because they want them.


Instead, Krauthammer brings my focus back to the biggest reason my vote was cast for John McCain...


Who do you want answering that phone at 3 a.m.? A man who's been cramming on these issues for the past year, who's never had to make an executive decision affecting so much as a city, let alone the world? A foreign policy novice instinctively inclined to the flabbiest, most vaporous multilateralism (e.g., the Berlin Wall came down because of "a world that stands as one"), and who refers to the most deliberate act of war since Pearl Harbor as "the tragedy of 9/11," a term more appropriate for a bus accident?



The rest, as they say, is gravy.


McCain's selection of Sarah Palin has excited me about politics in a way that nothing ever has in the past. I could try to articulate my thoughts on Mrs. Palin and her candidacy for the Vice Presidency but Lex does it SO much better (as usual). Thanks, Lex.


I'm done discussing politics. I'm done thinking about politics. I've voted. My opinions will not change anyone's mind if they haven't already done so. I hope you all vote. Regardless of who you cast your vote for, I hope you vote.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...