11.14.2008

Project Valour-IT

MacGyver is a hands-on type of guy. Those of you who have met him can back me on this. Everything he does involves his hands. About six weeks ago, he had shoulder surgery that effectively put one of his arms (and thus, his hand) out of commission. It's been a long six weeks for him - he's not used to not being able to use his hands. And for our family too. Our kids don't understand why Daddy can't wrestle with them or swing them up in the air or ride bikes with them.


I've done this in the past but I'm going to do it again.


I want you all to do me a favor this week. I want you to think about your hands. I would love for all of you to make a list of all of the things you do with your hands this weekend (keep in mind my mother-in-law reads this blog so let's keep it to a PG-13 rating...).


I dare you.



Post your list in the comments section.




Then, think about all of the things in that list that you could not do without your hands. Or your arms. Or your upper body.


You couldn't scratch an itch.


You couldn't button your fly.


You couldn't wipe your own rear end.


You couldn't wipe the tears away from your child's face or your loved one's cheek.


You couldn't dial the phone, type a letter, send an e-mail.




How would you stay connected to the outside world? How would you stay connected to your friends you left in the field?


Think about THAT for the the next few days...



Project Valour-IT - voice activated software and laptop computers (and Wii game systems and personal GPS units!) for our wounded soldiers. It's the least we can do.


Time to put your money where your mouth is. Click on the Project Valour-IT box on the sidebar to your right.




I have. Will you?




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Trish | eMailOurMilitary said...

We've kicked off our 7th Annual Holiday Mail to our Troops project. Hope to see you there and participating.

The eMail Our Military Website: eMail Our Military

Annie said...

I don't even have to make a list because Blondie, you know MacGyver's older twin, was without the use of his hand/arm for awhile back a few years ago. It drove him nuts. He hated having to ask people (mainly me) do stuff for him. He hated not being able to do stuff with the kids. He hated not being able to turn a wrench and do his job.

Here's hoping Project Valour is a huge hit this year.

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...