1.13.2009

Instinct vs. iPhone

So my phone is dying. It's taken to calling random contacts even when no one touches it, not ringing through even though I have 5 bars and full reception, etc. Doesn't help that it was dropped in the toilet at one point and that it's almost 3 years old. Not bad for a cell phone.

We've been with Sprint since 1998. That's a LONG time in this day and age and, honestly, we've been pleased with their service. So much so that we do not have a land line. I saw no need for one since my cell phone met all of my needs.

So we each have cell phones. Our plan includes:

- 1400 shared anytime minutes
- unlimited text messaging on my phone and 300 text messages on MacGyver's phone
- data plan on my phone
- Sprint-to-Sprint service so it doesn't me and MacGyver anything to call each other

For all of that, we pay $120 or so. Not too bad.

But my phone is dying and it's time to get a new one. I'm torn between sticking with Sprint and getting an Instinct or going to AT&T and getting an iPhone. However, I don't want to see a significant increase in our cell phone bill, one way or the other. I know the Instinct and iPhone each have their own advantages but what it really boils down to is the cost of the plan.

Thoughts?




- Pau.




- hfs

7 comments:

loquita said...

Do some research on the Palm Pre - it's not out quite yet, but it's probably one of the best iPhone alternatives out right now. Have never researched the Instinct, so I can't comment on that. I will say that what turned LT and I off to switching to AT&T and getting me an iPhone is how expensive it was. You will not get a comparable # of minutes from AT&T if you both switch over to that service, at least based on the research I did. But I do recommend the live chat on the AT&T website, that was very helpful.

Homefront Six said...

I've seen the previews of the Pre. I'm impressed but quite skeptical on any new rollout - just like I am on any new car model. Most of the kinks on the Instinct have been worked out and it's been out long enough for the disparities between it and the iPhone to have been dealt with.

1400 minutes seems to be about the right number of minutes for us. I'm not sure if either Sprint or AT&T do rollover minutes - I'll have to look into that.

DL Sly said...

AT&T is Cingular. (Well, if you want to get technical, Cingular merged with, then bought out AT&T. They did complete name changes on buildings, etc., then when they realized the name recognition value they lost, they switched everything back to AT&T...heh)
They do have rollover minutes. I've been with them for 5 yrs now and really don't have a complaint. My Mom had been with AT&T for longer until a recent snafu on their part for which Mom was going to be punished. Which, needless to say, really pissed her off. So she switched to Verizon, but she was very unhappy basically from Day 1.
I'm in the market for a new phone, as well, but I won't be going with the iPhone (much to SWHNOB's chagrin), though. From what I've seen and heard, they will probably be the next major target for spam, viruses and trojans.

Just my .2....keep the change.
0>;~}

FKA Haole Girl said...

It's funny how everyone's experiences vary so much!

We had Sprint on Oahu, but couldn't get service at our house when we moved on base. It seemed that there was one tiny little dot area where there was no coverage. We would have to drive down the hill to make a phone call. Sprint wouldn't let us out of our contract.

We eventually switched to Cingular/AT&T and have not had any issues at all. We have a 4-phone family plan with 900(?) minutes, unlimited texting, and 'free' calls to any other AT&T cell phone. Minutes roll over, and we've never gone over. We pay around $112/month with the military discount.

My .02.

Shawna said...

We've been with AT&T (Cingular) since 2003 and have an awesome plan. I love it and it is the reason I will not change providers.
What I don't like, is randomly dropped calls or not getting them at all.

wendy said...

My best buddy just got an iPhone. I am totally jealous. I don't have any actual real advice, but if I was buying a new phone, that's what I'd go with.

Anonymous said...

Thw question asked NEVER got an answer!! People are just holding a conversation about something that was not asked, the closest one is the last repsonse and it is based on a nothing, since he doesn't have one(his friend does) and he doesn't have an Instinct either. Why even respond? DAYUM!! I won't really knock the iphone, it's good, just very expensive and unnecessary. You can get the same thing for MUCH LESS and a plan that will keep you within your budget with the Instinct. Boils down to what you want in a phone...just do your homework, only YOU know what you want..you already know Sprint has the most economical plans and budget seemed to be a concern for you....