4.24.2009

My Grama

She was a tough lady. Blunt, sarcastic, firey, funny. Growing up, she'd come to visit at the holidays and a few times outside of the holidays and I am not sure who I was more afraid of - her or my mom. I mean, she was the reason my mom was tough so it makes sense that I'd be afraid of her too.


She was a military spouse like me...only much better. She saw my Grampa through WWII (he was a Seabee) and Korea (he was in the Army). The sacrifices she and my Grampa made during those two wars are so far above and beyond the things I deal with now in regard to military life that it's like comparing apples and oranges. Anytime I started to feel sorry for myself and ramp up the pity party, all I had to do was think of her and my perspective was set right.


She always slept in my room when she came to visit (which makes sense, given the fact that I grew up in a 2BR house) and the room always felt empty after she left even though it was so small.


My Grampa died when I was 2 so I never knew her with him. It was always just her. She did really well, living on her own. She had a little retirement apartment down near Biloxi and a family friend kept watch over her and she did well. After Katrina hit in 2005, mom and dad decided to move her up to live with them which is where she stayed until complications from Congestive Heart Failure forced her into the hospital and then into a nursing home.


She died this morning. My hope is that she's with Grampa now as well as my Dad. It's not been a good year for our family and I am weary of it. My hope is that we're done with the major life changes for a while now.


I'll miss you Grama. Say hi to Grampa and Dad for me.




Pau.




- hfs

7 comments:

Pogue said...

I'm so sorry.

BillT said...

Launching the Guardian Angel squad armed with prayers.

Half toward heaven, half towards HF6...

Guard Wife said...

I'm so sorry. We, too, have had a not-so-nice year in this regard and I understand what you are saying about your Grama. {{Hugs}} from here. We will be praying for you guys.

MissBirdlegs in AL said...

So very sorry about your Grama. It's hard when you begin losing those people who've made your life what it is. Prayers for all of you.

Homefront Six said...

Thanks everyone. I've not yet begun to process just yet. I'm sure the finality of it will hit me soon enough.

Sarah said...

Sorry I didn't see this post before we were together this weekend. Sorry for your loss...

Annie said...

I'm sorry. Sounds like she was a feisty lady, just like her grand-daughter.

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...