4.11.2009

Starting to get the hang of this...

...FRG thing. I think. But don't quote me.


This afternoon was our "Spring Fling". Nothing spectacular but a good time, nonetheless. We had a good turnout of families - probably about 50% - including some of the single soldiers. The kids had a blast - egg hunts, games, crafts, and piƱatas - as did the adults. In fact, I think the adults may have had more fun than the kids.


But all in all, it was a successful event.


I've been at this for 9 months now and I am just getting to the point where I can honestly say I know what I'm doing. Sort of.


There have been days (ok, weeks) where I've truly wanted to walk away. The learning curve has been incredibly steep in some instances. But God has been good in placing incredible people in the company that are more than willing to help and are well-equipped to do so. I started to panic last month when I learned that one of our best LTs was leaving us. But God was good and gave back another wonderful LT that had been with the company previously. It's been like that all along - the right people fall into place just perfectly.


With regard to the regs, I've reaffirmed my stance that it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission. I do my best to function within them but there are times when it makes no sense to do so. Primarily with regard to fundraising. It makes NO sense to me that we are essentially limited, in our fundraising efforts, to raising funds from our OWN people. If that's how it should be, there's no point in putting together any kind of a fundraiser - might as well just have people write a check and be done with it. I understand that the regs were written with good intentions but we all know where good intentions usually get us. I know I've blogged about it before both here and over at SpouseBuzz. The regs are, for the most part, ridiculous.


And even though our guys haven't even left yet, I already have a strong idea about the "Welcome Home" party but it's going to cost somewhere in the vicinity of $7,500 so we'd best get a move on if we wish to cover the cost of the "Welcome Home" party in addition to care packages and other events for the families while the guys are gone. But it's not going to happen if we choose to function solely within the confines of the Army regulations. Our finances are transparent - anyone who cares to see what monies we have and will have raised is welcome to. I don't want anyone to doubt that the money they've contributed has gone anywhere other than to support the soldiers and families within the unit. But I find it utterly ridiculous to expect soldiers and their families - who have sacrificed so much and truly ask so little - to foot the bill for their own "Welcome Home" celebration.


So that's where I stand on that one. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.


In the mean time, we have a Change of Commanding coming up and a new commander coming in. Seems like a nice guy - we'll see how long it takes to break him in, Hooker style. Heh.




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Mary said...

Do "the regs" preclude contributions from family and/or friends?

Homefront Six said...

It may but I. Don't. Care. I'll send you an email about who to make the check out to if you're serious (don't make it out to me!).