6.30.2009

Heart of Life



by John Mayer

I hate to see you cry
Lying there in that position
There's things you need to hear
So turn off your tears and listen

Pain throws you heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way, it should
But I know the heart of life is good

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
Then the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way, it should
But I know the heart of life is good

(Whistle Interlude)

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
Fear is a friend who's misunderstood
But I know the heart of life is good

I know it's good



So very, very true.




Pau.




- hfs

3 comments:

Curtis said...

Reading your thoughts very much reminds me of being the only guy in a 6 person carpool in high school and hearing what passed for female vocal communication. I miss roughly 60% of the signal but not in the noise, just in the lack of a shared context.
I have suffered devastating shocks to both my life and my family life and yet, I can actually name and discuss them. I don't leave them hanging out there as some sort of mysterious 9000th page of some Russian novel.

Now. Please go ahead and ignore what I just wrote. I have no right to ask and no reason to expect a comprehensible answer to such a personal question. I just hope that you will forgive a 49 year old father of a 6 year old girl for asking what makes it hurt so much.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Homefront Six said...

Hi Curtis. Thank you so much for your well-wishes.

Obviously there is a lot going on in my life - things that I am not comfortable or able to discuss in detail on a public blog. Devastating shocks, as you say. And I can, in fact, name them and discuss them. Just not here.

This blog is my outlet - my attempt to grok, if you will.

And, while I would love to put it all out here and let everyone share inthe details of my devastation and shock (because, trust me, I am good at oversharing. Ask my friends.), I cannot. So this is what you get.

Six year old girl? They are fun. Mine is going on 8.

Curtis said...

Six,

I understand. I learned a great deal from reading Heinlein at just the right age and learning to grok was actually one of the easiest of profound lessons to understand. I offer my best wishes for every happiness and, if you like that sort of thing and have the time, a little Billy Collins poetry is always good for the soul. After reading your response I went back and reread 'The Country' just because of the imagery I always associate with that poem. To grok and to be still is ever so much better than most of the alternatives :) run in circles, scream and shout, doesn't even come close!

best regards,

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...