6.18.2009

Maui 2009

First off, thanks so much for the good thoughts, prayers, well-wishes, and virgin sacrifices...they've all helped so much. No, MacGyver and I are not getting a divorce. The kids are fine. We just happened to run into a big, flaming pile of dog doo-doo and it's going to be a while before we find out how it will all shake out. We are praying for the best and preparing for the worst. We are blessed beyond belief with a great family, incredible friends, and wonderful support.


However, we still need your prayers. Some people have asked what they can do to help (without really knowing what challenges we are facing). Here's what I would tell them: pray that this will all work out in the end and that MacGyver and I would be able to face these challenges successfully and with grace. Pray that the powers that be would be fair and merciful in their decisions and that God would continue to surround us with the right people and provide us with direction.


In the midst of all of this, we had a trip to Maui that had been scheduled for months. Couldn't very well skip the trip so here are a few pictures from our Hana adventure.



Photobucket
Early on in the morning.




Photobucket
The black sand beach at Waipanapanapa Beach Park




Photobucket
The boy. AKA "Ricky".




Photobucket
The girl. AKA "Lucy".




Photobucket
There were crazy people jumping off this rock earlier in the day. Who am I kidding? I'd jump it too!



The first time we came here, in 2005, MacGyver and I counted over 300 Chrysler Sebrings (convertible, of course) on the road to Hana. This time around, it was Jeeps - JeepJeepJeeps everywhere! I didn't count though. I was too busy trying to avoid being carsick in the backseat.


Unlike last time, our drive continued on through Hana and then down around the southern tip of Maui and back up through Kula, past the entrance to Haleakala. I won't be able to make it up to the summit to catch the sunrise this time around. I didn't pack for it and I don't have a rental car. But that's ok. I like sleep more than I like sunrises.


A good trip though I'd much rather have stayed home. And I don't ever plan to make the drive to Hana again. Ever. Twelve hours in a car is ENTIRELY too long, especially when you're on an ISLAND. Ugh.




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! I can't believe how big the kids are!

Michelle said...

I only made it as far as the Garden of Eden--and I slept halfway there :) Couldn't handle the curves and such!! Course we did go to the top of Haleakala for sunset--it was great in a crossfire convertible with the top down and the heated seats on :)