1.05.2010

Scholarships

I'm hoping this blog does not turn into a purely navel-gazing blog but that's kind of where I'm at for the time being. Nor do I want it to turn into a purely education-related blog (of the navel-gazing variety, given the fact that I'm talking about MY education here) but, again, that's where I'm at for the time-being.


I'm heading down to pick up my textbooks tomorrow. Five books for $420. Ouch. And those are USED! (and before anyone starts in, yes I did check Amazon, half.com, and a few other textbook websites. Surprisingly, the college bookstore had the lowest prices especially after you include shipping) I've filed my FAFSA and right now, I'm only eligible for student loans. Since I'm still paying off my student loans from my LAST college experience, I'm going to do my best to avoid taking on any more of those unless it becomes absolutely necessary.


Given the fact that I'm a "non-traditional student", I'm a military spouse (for the time-being), and I'm going into a field that is facing some pretty severe shortages in terms of staffing, I shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down some scholarships and grants. If MacGyver's Army career comes to a screeching halt, our income would drop to -0- and that would make me eligible for much more in the way of grants and scholarships. It's not ideal to live on financial aid but if that's what needs to happen then we will make it happen.


In the mean time, I am searching for scholarships. My first stop is the National Military Family Association. They have the Joanne Holbrook Patton Memorial scholarships available. So I'm submitting an application for that one. The two short answer/essay questions are:


Short-answer question (3 sentences or less): How will the education this money provides change your life?

Essay (300-500 words): When you became a military spouse you were immediately eligible for health care through the military. What do you like the most about the health care you are receiving as a military family member? What do you like least? What would you recommend to change it? (Any words more than the 500 word limit will not be given to the judges.)



Interesting questions. I understand the first one but the second one isn't something I would expect to be asked as part of a scholarship application. I'll post my answers once I actually finish them but while I'm working on them, how would YOU answer them?




Pau.




- hfs

4 comments:

Crista said...

I'm applying for the same scholarship so don't ask me just yet. I haven't figured out the second question yet, either. bah

I'm rejoicing in reusing my A&P books from last semester ($500 for the one class) for this semester, too. YAY!!!

Have you looked into the Post 9/11 GI Bill? It pays tuition and fees for 12 months. I didn't think Mac qualified but he does and he's giving it to me.

Homefront Six said...

Hi Crista ~ yep, we're looking into whether we can access MacGyver's post-9/11 GI Bill. He's on leave right now so it's going to have to wait a little while longer.

I'm working on the second question too. I have my main points fleshed out but I need to work them into full paragraphs.

Picked up my books today - you would think that $420 worth of books would weigh more...seriously.

Crista said...

My books weigh like 500 pounds. I can't even fit them all into my backpack. lol

Anonymous said...

Prior to become an army wife I had Blue Cross, both a PPO and HMO that I could use interchangeably. For example if a procedure was covered by one and not the other than I could use whichever was better at that moment, or I could combine them if that worked. In other words I pretty much had the best possible and most flexible civilian healthcare out there (also my father is self-employed so we had private insurance growing up and paid out of pocket for doctors visits and other routine care BUT could see whomever we pleased). I LOVE TRICARE. Seriously. While not all the doctors, nurse practitioners, and physicians assistants that I've seen have been all that great, OVERALL they have been better than the doctors I had in the civilian world. You have to understand that even if you have a PPO and HMO you still have to find a doctor or a doctors office that is actually accepting new patients and that is really hard. I've had no trouble scheduling appointments with whomever I want to see (rather than my primary care provider) and I haven't had any trouble getting in when sick, etc. All my prescriptions being free is still a novelty even though my civilian co-pays were really low. I only have one complaint and this is why I jump around so much on who I see: long long long long before I ever met my husband I was diagnosed with mental health issues. It is DIFFICULT to get through to the health care providers on post that THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ARMY OR WHERE MY HUSBAND IS AND IS A PRIOR CONDITION. BUT, to be fair, at least they are much much more careful about what they prescribe than civilian doctors and civilian doctors really just throw drugs at you so they aren't any better in the end.