9.18.2010

In shock...in a good way

Most of my readers (all 3 of you!) know that the past 16 or so months of my life have been...stressful, to say the least. The future of MacGyver's Army career has been literally up in the air. That came to an end (for the most part) today.


We received word that our limbo is over and MacGyver can continue on as a pilot in the United States Army. There are still some administrative consequences to be dealt with and that may, in the end, spell the end of our time as an Army family but, for the most part the hell that we've been living in for the past 16 months is OVER.


O.
V.
E.
R.


Over. We can breathe again. Though I'm not sure I have just yet. I'm still in shock. It hasn't really hit me yet. Though it's starting to. I'm giddy and a disaster but it's all good.


Most of you that know me know that I am a Christian though I'm not particularly a "Bible thumper" but I'll say this here and now - through ALL of this, this "faith-walk in a group hug" (as a friend of mine calls it) that my family and I have been going through, nothing has sustained us more than our belief that God is in control of all of this, no matter how it played out.


I'm a control freak (no, really. Stop laughing.) and there has never been a time in my life where I've truly been able to hand control over to anyone. Everyone talks about "giving control to God" but that's not how I'm wired. I've never been able to do that. And, for the first 6-9 months of this ordeal, I was unable to give up control to God and stop letting the worry and anxiety control my life. But I continued to pray that I would be able to do so along with praying that God would work this out. I prayed that we would be able to remain in the Army but, if that wasn't possible, that God would provide a way for us to survive. One day I woke up and realized that I wasn't consumed by the stress of the situation. I realized that, whatever the outcome, we would be ok. Our future might not look like what I had envisioned but we would be ok. I guess you'd call that a "peace". Not something I am used to.


And I still don't know how this will all play out but that's ok. WE will be ok. I have faith. God has been SO good to us throughout this entire mess. We have an incredible family. We are blessed to be a part of an incredible church. We are surrounded by amazing friends - in real life and of the imaginary sort. Which is why my friend said it's a "faith walk in a group hug".


Even on the most awful days, we were sustained. And really, when the poop hits the fan as it always does in life, isn't that what matters? Is that what makes the difference? We all face challenges. We all have "stuff". What is it that sustains you throughout it all? For us, it was our faith and the people that God placed around us. Neither MacGyver nor myself got through this on our own.


We are blessed.


I can breathe again.




Pau.




- hfs

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Glad that your family can take a deep breath and relax with some stability for your future.

Limbo is not an easy place in which to operate normally from.

AC

DL Sly said...

WHOOOOOO FUCKING HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Oh, wait, can I say that here?
But seriously, this puts a major smile on my face -- something that has been hard to come by lately.

I'm so glad the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train, HF6.
0>;~}

Moore Ohana said...

SO SO SO SO very thankful!!! Love you guys!!!

Barb said...

Great news - so GLAD to hear this!! YAY!

airforcewife said...

Best news in forever! I'm so, so, so happy for you!

Sandi said...

Absolutely wonderful news! I am thrilled for all of you.

P.S. I think your readership count is a little off. There are at least 6 of us. :)

Amber said...

I'm so glad for all of you! Breathing again is a good thing. :)

Mama On The Move said...

We are THRILLED! And hope that you will be staying on the island longer!

HMS Defiant said...

So happy.

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

Whooooo Hoooooo! I am just now reading this! God is good! I have been praying for all of you!

jck said...

Life, with all it's challenges, is good...

I am so very happy to see this!

Starry-I'd said...

Okay, it's time for me to chime in: I'm *not* happy for you. This only happened because I jinxed your stay in paradise! Drat. Drat. Drat.

;D

Homefront Six said...

How, exactly, did you jinx my stay here?

oh Hell said...

I'm happy for you and your family!!! {{{HUGS}}}!!!

MMC said...

HFS
I only pop over occasionally from Lex's to see what's up but I have managed to basically follow this saga (and although part of me is dying to know what was behind it all I do realize that you can't share that).

So let me say that I am very very happy that things seem to be working out well (or at least better than you had feared) for MacGyver and your family. Here's to hoping and praying that they continue in that direction.