9.30.2010

Still straddling

I never was any good at the limbo but, after 16 months of practice, I think I'm getting better.


Yep, still in limbo. Not sure if we're destined to remain a military family or not. And it's weird because some things are still on hold, pending the outcome of everything and some things are not. Our DEROS (Date Eligible for Return From Overseas) is supposedly toward the end of this year. As in, less than 90 days out. Needless to say, THAT isn't going to happen. Or, if it does, I might just lose what little is left of my mind. Trying to throw together an OCONUS to CONUS move (and a DITY move, at that!!!) with 2 children in under 90 days is almost impossible, especially given the fact that MacGyver doesn't even have a whiff of orders at this point. Actually, we don't have a solid clue where we're headed next.


On that note, there are some developments with regard to where we are headed next. However, both options floated to MacGyver by his Branch manager mean that he would get there and pretty much deploy immediately. And neither location is a place I've ever been before. So my first inclination is for the rest of us to move somewhere we WANT to be for the year that he is gone. And for that, I have ideas. The biggest downside to that would be the possibility that we'd then have to pay to move ourselves to his duty station once he returns from his deployment.


Or I could suck it up, put my big girl panties on and go live where we are stationed. However, a lot of this is "putting the cart before the horse" in a sense and I think we would be wise to wait to see if we are even going to have to worry about any of this while MacGyver's rebuttal package is looked over and "the powers that be" decide on the fate of his military career. That should be happening in the next week or so (I'm assuming...and we all know how well *that* works...).


In the meantime we wait, and pray. Some more.


limbo limbo LIMBO! limbo limbo LIMBO! limbo limbo LIMBO! limbo limbo LIMBO!


Too much? I thought so. I'll keep you posted.




Pau.




- hfs

6 comments:

DL Sly said...

Hoping that they don't leave you in limbo too long. Remember what Mr. Miyagi says, "Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape."

My thoughts are with you. Hoping for the best.
0>;~}

Michelle said...

You remain in our thoughts and prayers. It's time for the dance to end!!

Starry-I'd said...

You are flexible and amazingly resilient. Limbo is usually done at parties, right? Just keep partying... You don't have any control and it's too early to spend time planning a move, so just educate the kids and limbo...

(just 2 nights ago, J looked up at your picture on the wall and said, "I miss Aunt L..." Yep, we all do.)

Hang in there and stay flexible!

Homefront Six said...

Tell J I miss him too.

I think I should a gold medal for my limbo skillz. Or at least recognition in the Guinness Book of World Records for LONGEST limbo...

Val said...

I'm totally feeling the limbo thing too. I dislike it. So I'll be your partner at the party.

I'm still praying hard.

Curtis said...

My unasked advice would be to go where you know because a year is a long time. We spent my dad's year in Vietnam in the place she grew up and loved and where everybody knew her and us. My sister was in 2nd grade. I was in kindergarten at the same school we both walked to and the two little ones had doting relatives to give mom a break. It was the same story as yours. PCS move coincided with immediate deployment and dependents were not entitled to base housing at the post unless their sponsor was there or attached to a command at that post.

Really sorry about the limbo.

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...