1.12.2011

Call me when this is over

Seriously. Can someone just call me when all of this is over and done with? I am tired. I am tired of waiting. I am tired of worrying. I am tired of speculating, planning, and wondering. It has been 19+ months since this mess began and it is still dragging on. Today, we found out that Fort Bragg is no longer an option at this point in time (sorry, Mom). The command here informed us that our welcome has been worn out and that, no matter the outcome of the administrative dealings, we will PCS as soon as it is over and done with.


Whenever THAT might be.


We were hoping that the command would let MacGyver stick around to complete the F-model transition but that isn't going to happen. Which means he will remain (for the time-being) a D-model Maintenance Test Pilot (assuming they allow him to remain in the Army). Which narrows our choices of future assignment down to: Korea, Alaska, Germany, Fort Riley (KS), and Savannah (GA). All of which are perfectly acceptable to me (Beggars cannot be choosers!). But nothing can happen until we find out how the administrative side of things is going to play out. So more waiting.


I am so tired of trying to explain to people that we don't know where we are going, or when. It's not that I'm tired of people, I'm just tired of the situation. I'm tired of not knowing. I'm just tired.


I am doing my best to focus on the bright side. And there is a lot that is bright. Even if the Army decides to thank him for his service but show him the door, there are possibilities within the National Guard. So that opens up a variety of new options. And there's always the civilian/contractor/mercenary side of life to consider. And ALL of this is bright compared to the possible outcomes that we were facing just 6 months ago. So, for that, I am thankful. I am thankful that we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, our health, etc.


But I swear, this has been the LONGEST GOODBYE KNOWN TO MAN. I feel like I've been saying goodbye to everyone around here for the past 19 months! For someone that detests goodbyes, this is exhausting! No WONDER I'm so stinking tired.


The information we received today (that we've worn out our welcome and will not be sticking around on this rock into the summer like we had hoped) does help to give us a better idea of our time-frame. Which is nice. I can stop saying "if we're here at that point..." because I know that, barring a miracle, we will not be here beyond the spring. So now I get to break that news to our friends here. Fun. Sorry, guys.


In the meantime, I continue to pray. I pray that the people making the decisions about MacGyver's career are just and fair. I pray that they are able to see that he IS still an asset to the Army and they are better off retaining him. I pray that they are able to see the man that he has become through all of this and the paradigm shifts he has experienced as a result of all of this and how that will benefit the Army and this country if they allow him to remain. I pray that they will offer him a second chance.


"There, but for the grace of God, go I."


But can someone just call me when this is all over?




Pau.




- hfs

10 comments:

S said...

hang in there. As you just said, won't be too long anymore and I hope for you guys you get what you want.

DL Sly said...

Hey, you know something!! Which is more than you knew 48 hrs ago.
Yeah, you don't know it all, but, then, that is not for any of us to know -- civilian or military -- now is it? Maybe you needed more practice at saying good bye? Who knows. But obviously, this last 19 months have not been without merit and lessons that *needed learnin'*. We never get to choose the lesson (dammit) or the manner in which we will learn it. (double dog dammit) Ours is to do the best with what we have.
It may seem as though you're just pushing against the boulder for no reason, but as the parable shows, God has a reason for his means, and they include parts of the picture we can never know until it's all said and done.
0>:~}

Dbie said...

SAVANNAH!!

OMG. I love Savannah. My cousin, Tori, the Blackhawk pilot, is stationed at Hunter. If you want to go that route, I can put you in touch with her.

Mama On The Move said...

Boo. I hate that you didn't get more positive news. I was really hoping you would be here through the summer at least!

Homefront Six said...

S ~ what I want is to just remain an Army family. Beyond that, food on the table, roof over the head, good health...it's all good!

Dbie ~ thanks :) Out of our current choices, Savannah is definitely at the top. We have a few friends there already (hi 'Ifer!) but more info and more friends are always good things! I'll keep you posted.

MOTM ~ I know. Me too. The news wasn't necessarily negative, just not what we had wanted. But God's got it and we are doing our best to trust that he has our best interests at heart.

FHL said...

Take comfort that God knows right where he wants you and that this may just be the dijointed road you all need to take to get there. I know without a doubt that wherever you are heading, there are people waiting who are in need of knowing and being blessed by your family.

We will miss you guys though and wish our time here, to get to know you, could be longer. :o(

Homefront Six said...

FHL ~ I know. Me too.

Diamond said...

Continued prayers for you and your family.

sheila said...

We just moved to USAG Yongsan, Korea from Fort Riley, KS. The main aviation battalion is deployed right now and comes home March 2011. So if you do get Fort Riley - at least you won't have a deployment looming over your head *hopefully*.

All the CWO are assigned to K-16 (Seoul Air Base) which is about 40 km from Yongsan. There is no post housing up at K-16 (but you can live off post - however the kids are bused down to Yongsan for school), so you live on post in Yongsan and the guys either ride the bus up there (you are only allowed one car in Korea - so you can have the car) or carpool. My CW2 husband works up there.

We really love Korea!

Maj Pain said...

lol......man do I know what you mean....stay tough warrior, everything happens for a reason.
Semper