2.26.2011

Swamp Romp 2011

The Marines over at KBay have a program called Semper Fit and each year, they put together a 5 mile course through the mud on the much on KBay. I'm pretty sure there is some pig slop and horse manure thrown in there for good measure.


And then people like me pay good money to come and slog through it in teams of 6. Yes, what the Marines get paid to do on a regular basis, I rolled my sorry butt out of bed at 4am, paid $25, and suffered through mud and rocks in places that should not HAVE mud and rocks, voluntarily - all in the name of "fun".


And it WAS. I went last year but wasn't on a team so I spectated and HATED.IT. I should have just tucked in with my friends' team after the start last year and it would have been fine. But I didn't. So I held out hope that I would still be on island when the 2011 event rolled around and I was! With MacGyver off island for training, it was just me and the kids. I rolled them out of bed at 0430 and loaded us all in the car to head over to the Windward side of the island. I duct taped my shoes on (you will be automatically disqualified if you lose a shoe), put my hair up in a cap, and lined up. We started off at a run...


I.AM.NOT.A.RUNNER.


I might run if I'm being chased. It depends on several factors:

a.) who is chasing me
b.) WHY they are chasing me
c.) whether they are armed


I am not a runner. Swimming? Sure. Biking? Yep. Walking? Yep. Not fast but I can do them. I can't run. But we ran the first 1/4 mile and then I thought I was dying. And then we came to the first mud obstacle and I really thought I was dying. I am short and the mud was up to my crotch in some places. I got dirty early and it kind of went downhill from there. That first slog was the worst and I was able to trudge through the rest. But I was the weakest link in my team in terms of speed so I felt badly about that. But we finished! And that's all that I was after. Here is the "after" picture. I'm still waiting on the "before" picture.





I'd love to say I'd do it again next year but so help me, if we are still ON this god-forsaken island next year, I might be in a padded room somewhere.


Swamp Romp 2011: been there, done that, got the T shirt!




Pau.




- hfs

5 comments:

Maj Pain said...

I did this when I was stationed there. A kick n the ass. BTW have you seen a size 23 nike shoe? Mine came off in one of those deep ass mud holes.
Stay tough & keep attacking! Great Job. Semper Fi

Homefront Six said...

MP ~ I didn't know you had been stationed here. Sorry - I did not see any Nike shoes. They were DQ'ing people who didn't have shoes - it was really rocky.

It was an absolute blast and I wish I could do it again!

Jennifer said...

Looks like you guys were right in front of us...we were the Sexy Swampers right behind you :) Did you get pics or video that you could share??

Homefront Six said...

None of us brought a camera on to the course. So all I have are the 'before' and 'after' pictures of our team.

If you are on Facebook, look up Semper Fit and friend them - there are pictures there. Sadly, the Marine Corps did not provide a PAO or photog team to take official pictures - Public Affairs FAIL, if you ask me.

How did you all finish? I think we came in just over 2 hours. I was happy just to finish :)

Jennifer said...

Major fail!! We came in at 2 hours 2 minutes...not bad considering we had one girl sprain her ankle in the first muddle puddle and finished, 1 sprained her ankle about 1.5 miles in and fell out, and I pulled my groin trying to tred through the long ass mud puddle. 5 of 6 finished and thats what we were going for...compete to complete!! Awesome job for your team...so doing it next year :)