The Girl is down with what appears to be a bout with the norovirus. All the fun of a tummy bug minus the fever. She's showing signs of mild dehydration and can't keep a single thing down - not ginger ale, not ginger tea, not water. We'll try again in a short while. Her vitals are holding steady at the moment but if this continues, she may get an all-expense paid trip to the Acute Care Clinic and a reintroduction to an IV.
When she was 4 months old, she came down with bronchiolitis and the croup at the same time. Her oxygen saturation levels plummeted and she wound up spending the night in the hospital on an IV and a nebulizer. Scared the CRAP out of us. At 5 months of age, she picked up rotovirus. Back to the hospital we went; this time due to dehydration. Cue the IV again. At 6 months, it was rotovirus again. Poor kid couldn't catch a break. Back to the hospital, back on the IV. At 7 months, it was RSV. Cue the nebulizer and the IV yet again. They offered to give us our own parking spot at the hospital.
I politely declined.
Finally, we were clear of it all and, for the most part, she has been healthy ever since. She's had the typical run-ins with colds and tummy bugs but nothing remarkable. The Boy was a different story - multiple run-ins with strep until I finally convinced his pediatrician to give me the ENT consult so that they could yank his tonsils out. He has been healthy ever since. As has the girl. Until today. Poor thing.
The timing of this is curious as Hawaii has had a recent run-in of it's own with the norovirus. I'd be more suspicious if we had actually been out to eat anywhere in the last week. But we have not. So who knows where she picked it up. I'm just hoping that, if I'm going to get sick with this one, it happens sooner rather than later as I am heading to the mainland in the near future and really, REALLY don't want to be sick on my trip. Maybe I'll go share her cup of ginger ale...