1.27.2012

Alfredo Sauce

I forgot to grab alfredo sauce at the store last week. I needed it to make Pot Roast casserole with our leftover pot roast from earlier in the week. Normally I'd hop in the car and swing by the store to grab a jar or text MacGyver and ask him to grab some but, instead I hopped online and looked up recipes for homemade alfredo sauce. Thankfully, I had on hand everything that was needed! And this sauce came out better-tasting than anything I've ever bought in a jar. I tweaked what I had found just a bit to tailor it to my family's palette:


1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 cups milk (2%)
6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper


If you compare that to the ingredients in Classico's alfredo sauce, you'll find that
the ingredients in the homemade sauce are fewer and easier to understand/pronounce. And I'm sure it cost less too.


The pot roast casserole was easy-peasy too - the most difficult part was keeping MacGyver from eating all of the leftover pot roast!


8 oz egg noodles, cooked
2 cups chopped cooked pot roast
2 cups alfredo sauce (see above)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup bread crumbs
Dump it all in a 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350*F for 20-30 minutes.


I served it with steamed green beans, a loaf of freshly baked French bread, and a salad. Yummilicious!




Pau.




- hfs

3 comments:

Crista said...

I've gotten so I do the same thing...I forgot something so instead of running up the street to buy it, I hop online to see if I can find a recipe to make it myself. Heck, takes just as long as the drive to the store and back but costs less!!

That pot roast casserole sounds good. Kiddo won't eat pot roast, so I haven't had a roast in nearly two years. Now I'm craving one. Thanks. lol

Homefront Six said...

My kids aren't huge fans of pot roast but I love it for a variety of reasons the top one being how EASY it is. One can of soda, one packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, some water, and the meat. Dump it all in the crock pot and leave it be for the rest of the day on low :)

And I'm going to make my own onion soup mix next time around too. Ditto for ranch dip/dressing mix as the MSG is giving me issues. Seems I take after my dad on that one.

Sorry I stirred up your craving!

Crista said...

Pot roast is easy, warm, and filling. I love it...I don't want it all the time but every once in a while. It's just one of those comfort foods!!