3.07.2012

Fair winds and following seas...

"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even[8] eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.



I have no words today. My heart is broken.


Lex, you provided an ear and a shoulder - and more importantly hope and light - in a desperately dark time in my life. And now you're gone and we are poorer for it. The world is poorer for it.


I am so glad you were doing something you loved to do rather than sitting in a cube. And I am blessed to be able to call you my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your friends. My grief is overwhelming...I cannot imagine theirs.


I will miss you.




Other posts: (to be updated as they come in)

USNI blog
The Wood Shed
CDR Salamander
InstaPinch
The Sand Gram
Bill at the Castle
John at the Castle
SKK
AW1 Tim
SteelJaw Scribe
Kitchen Dispatch
BJ Armstrong at USNI
McQ at Blackfive
Subsunk at Blackfive
The Sniper
Villainous Company
Technicalities
Chuck at TC Override
Bou
Carmichael's Position
Tailhook Association
Navy Times
Lex's opinion pieces at Military.com
Doc in the Box
Pete Daly at USNI
FbL at The Castle
Far East Cynic
NRO
Ace of Spades
The Thunder Run
Blonde Sagacity
Chicago Boyz
Op-For
Bob Owens
Matt Gallagher at TIME
Just Barking Mad
The Gun Line
Bouhammer
Mausers and Muffins
Padre Harvey
Pogue
Bring the Heat, Bring the Stupid
Mudville Gazette
Sharon at The Hokey Pokey
Steeljaw Scribe
Musings

6 comments:

MissBirdlegs in AL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Teresa said...

It's going to be a long hard day. *sigh* We were blessed to meet him.

Homefront Six said...

MissBirdLegs ~ I deleted the comment only because I try to keep my real name off the blog. I realize that that my privacy is really an illusion but I try. Thank you for the comment though.

Homefront Six said...

Teresa ~ we were, weren't we? That MilBlog conference was the best and nothing will top it.

Dave Harvey said...

HF6-
Didn't know how to send you a personal email, so am posting in comments.
Would you be so kind as to add a link to my own remembrance of Lex? And if you like, feel free to add my blog to your blogroll.

http://adonaisemperfi.blogspot.com/2012/03/requiescat-in-pace.html

Blog homepage:
http://adonaisemperfi.blogspot.com

Thanks, and prayers for you and for his family -
-Dave "Padre" Harvey

Anonymous said...

The good Captain was indeed a man among men. Those who knew him personally were indeed fortunate people. The rest of us - his virtual family - mourn his loss as we celebrate his life.

As I posted elsewhere, I keep hearing the lines of Edna St. Vincent Millay.

“Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.”

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Captain. I will be forever in awe of your knowledge and use of words as tools.

KP