3.01.2012

Product love - Sarna lotion

We moved from a wonderfully tropical locale to one of the most arid, dry, moisture-sucking locations the Army could have sent us. Combine that with cold temps, cranked heaters, hot showers to help restore circulation to my appendages and the state of my epidermis is depressing. I've tried several remedies...baby oil, Aveeno oatmeal baths and lotions, Aquaphor, and coconut oil. And none of them have helped.


I itch. And when I say I itch, I don't mean just a little bit. I mean I ITCH. In that way that causes you to wake up in the middle of the night, scratching at yourself, leaving welts here and there. It's incredibly annoying to FEEL every part of your skin all day long. I feel every seam, every point of contact, every everything. My hips and my arms are the worst but it's pretty much everywhere that I itch.


I came across a coupon for some medicated lotion called Sarna and figured I'd give it a try. I was waiting for it to go on sale at Target or Wal-Mart or somewhere but finally gave up and just went ahead and bought it with the coupon. It's not cheap - I think it was $10.99 for the bottle (minus the $5 coupon I had) and I used it for the first time today.


Oh. My. Goodness! I don't feel like scratching off the skin on my hips anymore! I made it through the day without clawing at my arms in desperation or digging welts on my hips, trying to get the itching to stop. What a relief! The bonus is that Sarna is non-steroidal so it carries with it fewer possible side effects than a topical steroid cream. Not to mention the fact that you can buy it OTC so I don't have to wrangle a referral to the dermatologist out of my doc. Woohoo!


I grabbed the 'sensitive skin' version because I'm finding that I am more sensitive to fragrance than I used to be. This entropy thing is a pain. *sigh* But at least I don't itch as badly! And this was just Day 1! Sarna, you have a fan!







Pau.




- hfs

6 comments:

Crista said...

Always nice to find a solution to the ONE problem that plagues me living here. It's truly my only gripe about one of the most beautiful places in all of the world....dry skin in the winter. I found Lubriderm works for me. Like you, it's my arms and hips that are the worst. Blah!!

YEAH!!

Homefront Six said...

At first, I thought it was my detergent - having made my own. But even after I switched back, it was still bothering me, especially right where my jeans sit on my hips. So I took to rinsing my denim twice in addition to adding vinegar to my wash cycle, to no avail. Sarna seems to have helped.

I also need to drink more water and less caffeine...bleh.

I tried Lubriderm but it didn't cut the itch.

Tracy S said...

I had a dry patch of skin that would not stop itching. It was on my neck and ended up feeling "scaly" b/c I itched it so much. I finally went to the dermatologist and I can't remember what she called it, but basically I scratched the itch so much it was a cycle of dry skin, itch, dry skin, itch, etc. Her advice to me was to by Sarna lotion. AHHHHH, the instant relief and no more scaly, itchy neck!!

It's worth the price, even without a coupon! :)

The Sniper said...

I use Eucerin. Awesome stuff.

Homefront Six said...

Eucerin did a great job at moisturizing my skin but didn't do anything for the itch. I use Eucerin or Aquaphor on my hands at night so they don't crack and break off ;)

Mom5Kids said...

I'm glad you found something that works for you!

I use bag balm. It's one thing I don't have a reaction to. It heals cracks and dryness, reduces itching and diaper rash and dramatically reduces scarring. Plus it's cheap. What a commercial :D

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...