7.31.2012

Monday madness

Hit the ground running today. For the past two weeks, we've been fitting in our end of the year testing (yes, end of the year...it's been a busy summer...don't judge) and we literally bumped up against the return deadline. So we had to squeeze the last few sections in today before I ran to drop them off at the post office. *whew* We are ALL glad that is over.


I'm curious to see how The Boy and The Girl do this year. Last year, their scores held no surprises - I knew that The Boy's listening skills were on the low side of average and The Girl's math scores would reflect the fact that I had basically held her back in order to beef up her multiplication skills at the expense of having stay on par with her age group. I expect no surprises this year. I expect that The Boy's listening skills will have improved...not necessarily drastically but significantly, nonetheless. I expect that The Girl will be much closer to to her peers this year than she was last year in terms of her math. Regardless, these tests are not FOR my children. They are for me. They will not see their scores - there is no need. These tests are simply to show me where they are excelling and where they need more work in addition to acting as 'proof' of our progress for the year.


We choose to use the Iowa Test of Basic Skills for a variety of reasons. Primarily, the fact that the test has been in existence for over 50 years, thereby allowing for a deeper pool of norm-referenced scores than any other standardized test out there. Additionally, the scope of the test appeals to me. The test covers science, social studies, and reference materials in addition to offering a 'Cognitive Abilities Test' which is a great measure of a child's ability to think abstractly. All of that is on top of the fact that the test is quite strong in both the verbal and mathematical areas as well. And it's the same test I took as a child in elementary school. 


In an effort to recoup some of the money I've spent on curricula over the years, I'm selling off a lot of the curricula we've either outgrown or that I've found just doesn't work for us. Thankfully, we are not hard on books around here so most of what we have has still in very good condition. I buy used when I can and I'm always on the lookout for what we need at the right price so I've managed to keep our costs pretty low. My goal is to make back what we've spent this year on curricula by selling off our old stuff. And I had several items to mail out today so those went with me to the post office as well.


Oh, and late last week, the heating element in our oven caught on FIRE. Fun times! Once I shut it off, the flame died out and I was able to see that the heating element basically corroded. Awesome. The house is only about 4 years old and already the oven is dying. The dishwasher (same manufacturer) is also a piece of junk so it doesn't surprise me that the oven tanked. I'm waiting for the refrigerator to die. Thankfully, we still have our old fridge so we have backup. Remind me never to buy Frigidaire appliances.


MacGyver's been flying a LOT lately which is a blessing. He's surpassed 1,000 hours of total flight time (most civilian companies look for at least 1,000 hours of total flight time when hiring this is HUGE). Now he's busting his butt to get his next 200 hours as the 1,200 hour mark has something to do with Part 135 (correct me if I'm wrong, Pogue). I have no idea what Part 135 is or why it matters but it matters to MacGyver so it matters. 


And we're still waiting...waiting for the Army to, yet again, determine MacGyver's fate. The promotion board results are due out any day now (last year, they came out on August 11) and I swear I'm going to have an ulcer by the time all of this is said and done. Part of me wants to envision the celebrating that would take place if the news were good but the superstitious part of me worries that, if I do, I'll jinx it. So I do my best to simply not think about it. Which means I walk around with a wicked headache pretty much all day. Ulcers AND headaches...awesome. 


I'm trying not to throw things at the television as I watch the Olympics. Between NBC's lousy coverage and Gregg Troy's lousy decision to put Ryan Lochte in as the anchor on the men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay...MacGyver has taken all of the projectiles out of my reach. Probably a wise decision.


I should probably take my grumpiness and go to bed.


My motto for the time being (who am I kidding...for the past 3 years):

Pray for the best.
Prepare for the worst.
Somebody pass the Tums. 




Pau.




- hfs

1 comment:

FHL said...

We've always used the good ol' IOWAs as well :o) Waiting to see where God leads you and trusting that he'll pave the way. (((Hugs)))