7.16.2012

Money-saving Monday

If you've been reading for a while, you know I'm trying to cut back on our expenses as much as possible. A lot of our 'discretionary spending' has been cut - we only eat out rarely anymore, my Starbucks habit has been relegated mostly to my kitchen and the rest comes out of my monthly spending money, we frequent Goodwill and other thrift shops rather than buying new clothes, we line dry the majority of our wash, my thermostat is set at 85°F during the day.


And coupons. Coupons, coupons, coupons.


I'm getting better at it - my average savings is up around 15-20% per shopping trip and I've been able to scale back our food budget by a good $100 per month. We are buying less in the way of snack and prepared foods and making more of our meals and snacks from scratch. I found a great bakery outlet and I'm trying to grow some of my own veggies.


Today, I'm on a mission to Target. My goal is to get multiple boxes of Post Shredded Wheat & Bran for FREE. I have several $1 off 1 box of said cereal and Target reportedly has smaller boxes of it on sale for $1. So we'll see if I can score some free cereal today. MacGyver likes this cereal so this will be a good buy. I have a hard time buying multiples of an item that my family doesn't use simply because it's cheap. Maybe, once the Army decides what it's going to do with us and we no longer (hopefully) have the scepter of an impending move over our heads, I can actually start to stock up in earnest. For now, I'll be content with 4 boxes of free cereal (because that's what the coupon allows).


Tomorrow, I'll go back and get 4 more. Because MacGyver will eat it.


What are you doing to save money today?




Pau.




- hfs

2 comments:

Homefront Six said...

And...my Target mission was a big, fat FAIL. No Post SW&B at all. They had SW but it was $3.44/box. The commissary usually has it on sale for $2/box so I'll wait and use my coupons there instead. Poo.

Crista said...

Well, poopy. But you tried! I'm trying to score a new backpack for the kiddo without breaking the bank. Target has them on sale this week plus printable coupons on their website. We'll see how we do.