7.23.2012

Road trip music




Took off on a road trip this past weekend - a friend of ours that we knew from Hawaii is riding out a deployment back on the mainland with family. She's about ready to give birth to their third child and her husband - wonderful man that he is - brought a handful of her closest friends into town to hang out with her for a weekend. However, this necessitated a 800 mile round trip drive.


By myself.


Ah, the possibilities were ENDLESS! I could listen to anything I wanted! I could stop for Starbucks any time I wanted (well, once I made it into an area that resembled civilization...)! I could sing along and not have anyone talk through my favorite songs!


Just a glimpse at my playlist and you'll get an idea of the rocking out that was going on (and no laughing at how 'eclectic' my list is):

- Audioslave
- Keb 'Mo
- Sonia Dada
- Voice of the Beehive
- Chris Tomlin
- J Boog
- JJ Grey and MOFRO
- Kolohe Kai
- Dirty Heads
- Toby Lightman
- Zac Brown Band
- Kansas
- CCR
- Journey
- Bob Seger
- The Cult
- Kenny Chesney
- U2
- UB40
- needtobreathe
- Johnny Clegg & Savuka
- Jars of Clay
- Sublime
- Ben Harper
- Sugarland
- Blues Traveler
- Better Than Ezra


And one of the songs that came on was the one above - "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney. I started thinking about certain songs that hold deeper meaning than just being a soundtrack that plays continuously in the back of my head on a daily basis. Does anyone else do that? Or is it just me that has music in my head every day?


Anyway...the first song that comes to mind is (don't laugh), "Puff the Magic Dragon" by Peter, Paul, and Mary. It's one of the first songs I remember listening to as a child on my family's record player. I just remember loving the melody of the song and how soothing it felt but then I listened to the words and I realized how sad of a song it really is. It still transports me back to my living room.


The next song that popped into my mind was "Still Rock and Roll to Me" by Billy Joel and "Call Me" by Blondie. My best friend used to come over and we'd dance around my living room to those two songs. I still know all the words.


After that, it's the song, "Forever Young" which was our theme song my senior year in high school. We had lost a friend that year and most of us had to come to terms with the fact that we really weren't immortal. That was a tough one for 17 year olds to wrap their brains around.


Lately, there are so many songs that stick in my mind that I really can't sort them all out. What are some of the songs that take you back and where do they take you?




Pau.



- hfs

4 comments:

Crista said...

There are so many. And you are not alone with the internet soundtrack of your life. I have songs running through my head 24/7 it seems. I sing in my head in my sleep, so I get this soundtrack of my dreams. I wake up with songs going through my head. I fall asleep with songs going through my head. I randomly hum throughout the day...whatever happens to be running through my brain.

My first song memories are John Denver on 8-track. I also remember the Christmas music I grew up listening to with my mother...first on vinyl and then on CD.

The first cassette tape I ever owned came with my first Walk Man when I was 8. I remember sitting in my grandmother's living room and my dad came up behind me and put headphones on my ears. He stilled me and said, "if you can tell me what this song is, you can have this." It was Michael Jackson's Thriller!! Kiddo doesn't even know what a Walk Man is!! lol

My first concert was The Oakridge Boys with my mom when I was 10. I once, in high school, won a radio contest because I knew the song you had to guess was by the Pointer Sisters. My mom loved those ladies. :)

Music, I guess, does shape our lives. Kiddo would probably die without her music. Perhaps it is her "currency" and I just never realized it until now. It feeds her soul...and mine.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. :)

Crista said...

Meant...."internal soundtrack" in that first sentence. lol

Homefront Six said...

My mom loved Eddie Rabbit (among other singers) and on our road trips (there were many) that's what I remember. I have several of his songs on my iPod too.

My first concert was Bruce Springsteen at the Coliseum in 1984. GREAT show.

Neither of my children are hardcore into music yet. Or maybe they just aren't as into as I am. Thankfully, they both tend toward the classic rock side of things - currently The Boy loves to blast Smoke on the Water. And they both love Baba O'Reilly.

Curtis said...

Ah, Puff the Magic Dragon, same for me. My great uncle named his house in Norfolk Honalea which is where I heard it first. I think we might have driven my mother mad playing the same songs on the record player over and over again---in Fort Riley when I was in the 5th and 6th grades. Never paid any attention to music before then. It was much harder to generate back then when we had one stereo, 4 kids, a handful of albums.

I've been away for awhile with a year housesitting in Ohio and now in Virginia. I'm glad that all is going well.