7.19.2012

Thoughts on Thursday

Pardon the randomness...insomnia reared its ugly head last night and I'm rolling on about 3.5 hours of sleep and not nearly enough caffeine. But at least it's cool inside my house!


There must have been something in the waffles that my children ate this morning. They are both quite talkative but this morning, the concept of 'internal monologue' seemed to be completely foreign to them. I tried turning up the music but they just talked LOUDER.


Minimal sleep plus minimal caffeine plus a naturally short, red-headed temper combined with SoCal born and raised road rage tendencies makes for an ugly scene out in public. Thankfully no one else was in the car with me at the time. And really...if you're going to talk on your cell phone while driving, can you please do it at a speed faster than 17 mph? Multitasking, people. Learn it. Or pull over and write the damned directions DOWN. 





We got rain yesterday. It was 107° when it started and dropped 20° in a matter of minutes. I danced in it. Twice. The bulk of it went north of us and most of the rain fell on post. They also battled some pretty stiff winds and found that, when you don't properly tie down an AH-64 Apache, they can be blow over. Whoopsie! I'm glad *I* wasn't the one that had to make the phone call to the brigade commander. We're due to stay in the triple digits through late next week. The farm crop here is faltering as is the soybean crop. Nebraska just told its farmers to stop irrigating. I have a feeling water restrictions are headed this way soon. The only thing I'm watering is my garden. 




To balance out the painful electric bill that came yesterday, my gas bill came today and it was all of $14. Whew. I also brought in some money for some articles I wrote, a $10 Target gift card for joining Ebates.com (a great website that pays you cash back every time you shop online - up to 26% back! Ebates works with 1,500 stores including Sephora, Amazon.com, JCPenney, Kohl's, Home Depot, Overstock.com, Groupon, Barnes & Noble, and Walmart.), a FREE drink from Starbucks (thanks to my membership card with them), and another Amazon.com gift card from Swagbucks. And I've managed to keep our food bill this pay period under $100 thanks to those great refried beans and a bunch of frozen leftovers. Every penny counts! Feel free to go check those sites out - if you're going to be shopping on line (Ebates.com) or searching online (Swagbucks.com), you might as well get something out of it!


And I'm grateful for the savings because my poor 14-year old car is going to need some more work. Seems the CV joint is dying and the half-shaft is going to need to be replaced. I was hoping to be able to put that savings toward my credit cards but that doesn't seem to be the plan this time. Ah, well. At least I won't have to slap the cost of the parts on the credit card. 


We are having an old friend over for dinner. He's in town on a recruiting stint and it will be good to see him. We haven't seen him since he and his family left Hawaii a while back. Lasagna for dinner!




Pau.




- hfs

4 comments:

Homefront Six said...

Wow. Reading through this, it's like the dog, from the movie "Up", wrote this. SQUIRREL!

Oh, L@@K! A chicken!

Pogue said...

Have you priced the half shafts as parts? Rebuilding a CV joint itself is a PITA, but replacing the half shafts are a piece of cake. You save the labor charges and you should be able to get a core refund on the old half shafts. If you or MacGyver have the time it could help with the electric bill recovery process...

Homefront Six said...

P ~ I haven't taken my car to a mechanic in so long that I can't even remember the last time it happened. MacGyver is my mechanic. He's had that car apart so many times, I've lost count.

That's one of the reasons I married him!

Curtis said...

I remember getting a call from the Wing in Cairo West telling me that a B1B had knocked off a wing tip taxiing into the Armament building and asking me to send the SITREP to DC.

NO WAY! Says I. You just go ahead and pick up the phone and make your own call home and alert the NCA all by yourself that you really really really screwed up.

To misquote PT Barnum, there is an optimist born every minute.