10.02.2012

Moving with Murphy

DITY ('do it yourself') moves never go smoothly. They just don't. Otherwise EVERYONE would do a DITY move and the moving companies would go out of business. So I knew this move would have its glitches. Apparently, Murphy (as in Murphy's law...) has decided to tag along on this one. Lovely.


First, the good news: we are on schedule. Actually, we might be ahead of schedule but there is all of the minutiae in the rooms that we've packed and loaded so I'm not quite so how far ahead of schedule we actually are. The Boy and The Girl have been great helpers. It's much easier to move with an 11 year old and an 8.5 year old than it is to move with a 5 and 2.5 year old like we did the last time we had this hare-brained idea. And MacGyver's command gave him a pass rather than having him take leave (in addition to the upcoming 4-day holiday weekend) so that saves us beaucoup dinero. And we might have help this coming weekend if there is anything heavy left to move so that's wonderful as well. And the place we are renting has FAR more storage than we were led to believe (we saw a model unit, not the actual unit/floorplan we are moving into) so that has been a godsend.


However, it seems Murphy has decided to tag along on this move. The trailer we planned to borrow from our church (I love our church) was too much for MacGyver's old truck. In addition to the fact that it was uber windy on Monday here, it's too wide and a bit too heavy for his truck to handle safely. Thankfully, our church also has a shorter trailer that we were able to borrow. It means more trips but it's safer so that's good. 


Then, the first day we were packing/loading, a glass jug full of milk decided to fall out of the fridge and shatter all over my kitchen floor. Yikes. Thankfully, MacGyver was not injured, nor was anyone else. We grabbed beach towels to soak up the milk and, without thinking, I tossed them into the washing machine once we had things cleaned up. That shredded the pump on the washing machine. Dangit. We caught the leak early enough to prevent a problem but now my washer is down for the count until we get a new pump and install it. 


And, because moving isn't stressful enough, I have a wicked head cold topped off with a fantastic panic attack last night and I am about tapped out. But we still have 2/3 of a house to move. And I still need to clean before I hand keys over. So Sudafed and ibuprofen are my lifelines right now. And The Girl woke up last night with an upset tummy and we had NO toilet paper in the house (new house...it didn't get packed in that first load). Thankfully, my emergency kit in the car had a roll. Yay for preparedness! She and I are both feeling the effects of a lack of sleep. I think I managed to rack up about 4 but those were in small, dozing bursts. Might need to employ some NyQuil therapy tonight but I hate the hangover it leaves me with in the AM.

Hopefully, as I sit here at swim practice (trying NOT to watch because it's torture to be stuck up here in the stands and not down on deck, coaching) MacGyver is gathering up the last of the minutiae from the rooms we've already packed and loaded (kids', bathrooms, MBR, kitchen, dining room) and we can start on the living room and school area tomorrow. Hopefully. He has to work on Thursday so we'll spend that day cleaning the empty rooms, packing like maniacs, and running stuff to Goodwill in preparation for the final push on Friday/Saturday. 


Right now, it feels like my head is going to explode. I'd pay someone large quantities of money to take a drill and drill holes directly above and below my eye sockets to help relieve this pressure. Or I'll just take more Sudafed...


And we get to do this all again in a few months...yippee skippee...




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: