1.15.2013

Honey Garlic Balsamic Chicken

MacGyver's parents gave us the most wonderful oil and vinegar set from 41Olive for Christmas: Organic Tuscan Herb olive oil and 18 Year Barrell Aged Traditional balsamic vinegar. To say the set is divine is doing it a disservice. It is beyond that. And using it on our salad last night inspired me to try balsamic chicken with a few of the frozen chicken breasts in my freezer. I still have not yet made it to the grocery store so I am having to get creative with our meals. MacGyver came home with 18 or so farm-fresh eggs from a friend at work so we'll be having organic, farm-fresh eggs for dinner tomorrow night - hopefully with homemade bread!


Anyway, using my inspiration from the 41Olive set, I went looking for an easy balsamic chicken recipe and found one right off the bat (yay Google!). Anything with honey in it catches my eye and this one had it. So Honey Garlic Balsamic Chicken was on the menu tonight. SO easy and SO yummy! I had everything I needed on hand and it came together in less than 30 minutes. PERFECT!



HONEY GARLIC BALSAMIC CHICKEN


INGREDIENTS
  • 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil*
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar* (I love this Honey Balsamic from Honey Ridge Farms)
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3 chopped garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
* Please note: I did NOT use the 41Olive oil and vinegar that my in-laws gave me. That stuff is much to good to use in a dish like this. The 41Olive set will be used on salads and other fresh items where the flavors can be fully enjoyed. We used the cheap stuff for this dish!
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
  2. Add the chicken to the pan.
  3. Cook the chicken until both sides are brown and the chicken is cooked through. It is about 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Take the chicken out of the pan, and put on a plate and cover with foil.
  4. Add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and honey to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, the sauce will thicken. Use a spatula to get the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan.
  5. Slice the chicken on a bias, and spoon the pan sauce over the top. I served mine with some orzo tossed with homemade pesto sauce and Parmesan cheese.



Please note: this is Bree's picture, not mine. Our chicken didn't stay
on our plates long enough to photograph it!


I did have to add a step - the chicken wasn't cooked through after 6-7 minutes on each side in the skillet so I heated the oven up and baked it for about 15 minutes at 350°F while I did up the sauce, the rice, and steamed the green beans. Worked out perfectly! I only did up 2 chicken breasts (instead of the 4 that the recipe calls for) because they were big and the kids and I don't eat that much. If I had to calculate the cost of this meal, I'd say:

$1.99 for the 2 chicken breasts
$1.00 for the other ingredients in the dish
$0.25 for the rice
$1.50 for the green beans
$4.74 for the meal (not including drinks: milk, water)


My children gobbled this up. MacGyver will once he gets home. We'll be making this again SOON. And now I need to go make my shopping list before we're left eating Bisquik biscuits with deli mustard for breakfast!




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: